calibrating HDTV as tv monitor

jamestime88

[H]ard|Gawd
So I splurged and bought a new 60" for my living room. I am now using my old 42" 1080p LCD for my computer monitor. Right now the 42" is the main display and my 24" is my second monitor. The 42" is hooked up with HDMI and my 24" is connected with DVI; both to my 8500gt video card.

Here's the problem: I would like to run my 42" at it's native resolution of 1920x1080 but it crops off all the corners of the screen and I can't see my entire desktop. I got it to stop cropping by changing the display settings to 1280x768 but all other resolutions are still cropping. My 24" is letterboxing unless I match the screen resolution to my 42".

So, how can i calibrate my HDTV to display my entire desktop at native resolution?

Well I got the monitor running properly at 1728x960 through the nvidia control panel. Is there still some way to get it to work properly at 1080p?

And make sure you have disabled "overscan/underscan" in the video card control panel. It's usually buried or obscured so you may have to dig deep to find it.

Afterwards you would set it to the native resolution + refresh rate.

Also: many TV's have hdmi ports specifically programmed to play nice with videocards, so make sure you are plugged into the right hdmi port before proceeding.

Last but not least, you can plug your TV's model number into the search bar at the AVS forums. I'm sure others with your TV have been in the same predicament ;)

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Also if it has a "Game" View Mode, use this for PC use as it helps dramatically on reducing input lag.

Some tv's have a "95%" mode enabled by default because some non-standard channels still have noise on the edges. Look for a full mode in your tv settings.

Back