calibration?

I bought a Spyder2 calibration suite on eBay for about $90 US. I think it works great and is pretty easy to use.

Mac

Yeah, is there any cheaper (preferably free) method?

I used QuickGamma on my P1130 CRT to get each individual color's gamma setting correct, is something like that enough or what?

I've never adjusted my LCD's but I would always try if there was some easy method.

thats a lotta $$ just for monitor calibration
No actually that is pennies. If you are willing to throw down 600-700 for 24" LG what is $90 for a spyder?

Another note, I saw your post asking for that LG profile file, don't bother it is useless to you. The only profile that will be of use is one generated by a hardward calibrator that measures your specific monitor and generates a profile specfic to your monitor. Every monitor is unique so the only truly accurate way to profile it is with a custom profile generated by a hardware calibrator.

I have tried the free software and my eyeballs and they all suck. You could at least run Adobe Gamma if you have Photoshop but otherwise, you are best off to just springing for one hardware unit. If you really need to save the Huey can be had for about $70.

No actually that is pennies. If you are willing to throw down 600-700 for 24" LG what is $90 for a spyder?

Another note, I saw your post asking for that LG profile file, don't bother it is useless to you. The only profile that will be of use is one generated by a hardward calibrator that measures your specific monitor and generates a profile specfic to your monitor. Every monitor is unique so the only truly accurate way to profile it is with a custom profile generated by a hardware calibrator.

I have tried the free software and my eyeballs and they all suck. You could at least run Adobe Gamma if you have Photoshop but otherwise, you are best off to just springing for one hardware unit. If you really need to save the Huey can be had for about $70.

Lol, $90 is 15% of the total cost of his LCD, that's what. People usually STRETCH to get into things and then adding MORE cost just hurts when stretched. This is exactly how people nickel and dime themselves to death. What's a $10 lunch when make $80k a year? Every day, it adds up.

Regardless, you're correct (IMO). Once over a certain threshold or use, get it properly done. I had my 50" RPTV calibrated by an ISF professional when I bought it years ago. Totally worth it, but I did have to wait a few months (it cost $250) before my "fun money" fund was funded. If you don't BUDGET for the additional shit that goes with buying an item, it can hurt a bit after.

Not sure if a 24" monitor for gaming counts as worth it though.

Its better than nothing.

Lol, $90 is 15% of the total cost of his LCD, that's what. People usually STRETCH to get into things and then adding MORE cost just hurts when stretched...
I hear you. For most people its a none starter. Most folks will be happy with stock colors and uncalibrated monitors simply because they don't know the difference. Look at it this way, the calibrator is likely to out live the monitor, can be used for all of the monitors in your house and heck, maybe you could make your money back by offering to calibrate your neighbors monitors for $10 bucks like the professional adjustments you had done to that old TV.:D

Regarding your example, I would never pay $250 for an one time calibration. Given that in a few months it is likely to have drifted out of calibration. Where as for $70-90 maybe he can pick up a tool that will allow him to make adjustments whenever he wants. Given that out of the box the color delta is probably 3-5 and after calibration it will probably be just at 1 or below, bang for the buck that is a 300-500% increase. Sounds cheap compared to the small gains folks pay for in hard drives, video cards, etc.

Besides he could eBay one for a lot less, here is one for $15, another for $39. You can do it!:p

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Regarding your example, I would never pay $250 for an one time calibration. Given that in a few months it is likely to have drifted out of calibration. Where as for $70-90 maybe he can pick up a tool that will allow him to make adjustments whenever he wants. Given that out of the box the color delta is probably 3-5 and after calibration it will probably be just at 1 or below, bang for the buck that is a 300-500% increase. Sounds cheap compared to the small gains folks pay for in hard drives, video cards, etc.
That display he had could only have been properly calibrated by an isf technician, most (but not all) of the settings on those sets will not drift, and $250 was a pretty good deal at that ;) (assuming it is a CRT rear-projection TV like it sounds)

Otherwise i'll agree with everything else you said about computer monitors. I'm sorely missing my calibration set i misplaced recently. I have several monitors that can use it right now. My Lacie II came with an older Lacie (oem MonacoSensor) colorimeter but no software, i've yet to email lacie support for the software. If Lacie doesn't come through for some reason then i'll probably pick up the spyder2express just for it's colorimeter alone. The spyder2 colorimeters are compatible with free aftermarket software that has a lot more features than the express version.

Yeah, is there any cheaper (preferably free) method?

I used QuickGamma on my P1130 CRT to get each individual color's gamma setting correct, is something like that enough or what?
That's not really considered a calibration, that's just eyeballing it with an untrained eye.

Buy one on ebay at the lowest possible cost, sell it back on ebay after using it. There is no substitute for hardware calibration. You can keep searching until someone tells you there is, but then they'd be wrong.

That is like the best idea I have ever heard. You, sir, are the king of ideas.
A better idea is to buy one, rationalize the purchase by telling yourself that you'll sell it on ebay, but really keep it because you should be using it every 6 months or so :p

OP the lowest price i know of for a hardware calibration setup is at compuplus for $47 + S/H. And if you decide to ebay it afterwards you might even make a few bucks profit ;)

That is the best price I have seen for the Spyder2 Express. Great find. If it also works with third party free software it is an excellent buy.

Mac

so no cheaper way?lol

There is a cheaper way. Sell your monitor since it cost you so much and buy a smaller $300-400 monitor then buy a calibrator, that way you'll have more money than you started with. :rolleyes:

And if you're THAT tight on money, maybe you shouldn't be buying a $650 monitor to begin with..geez.

There is a cheaper way. Sell your monitor since it cost you so much and buy a smaller $300-400 monitor then buy a calibrator, that way you'll have more money than you started with. :rolleyes:

And if you're THAT tight on money, maybe you shouldn't be buying a $650 monitor to begin with..geez.

Is your monitor so off that it NEEDS calibration? Without anything to directly compare it to, most people cannot notice TV/monitor issues. It's AFTER the calibrate it, they realize it was off.

But out of the box, 99.9% of TVs and monitors look fine to the naked eye. I did my RPTV since the lenses physically moved during shipping, so I had blur in spots. But a LCD or computer monitor? They look fine to me.

Is your monitor so off that it NEEDS calibration? Without anything to directly compare it to, most people cannot notice TV/monitor issues. It's AFTER the calibrate it, they realize it was off.

snip

Indeed. But after going through here I'm sure I'll try to look for imperfections on my monitors now :(

so no cheaper way?lol
You won't find it cheaper than that, not even used. I know, i've been keeping an eye out, and i'm pretty good at deal hunting :).

Ever think about splitting the cost with a friend or family member? I'm sure most of them can use one, whether they realize it or not. Budding amateur photographers could especially use a calibration set (know of any?)

jeez i can afford it but who has money to throw away?

ive spent $3,250 on my pc so far what makes u think i want to spend more? even if its $30 extra?

ive spent $3,250 on my pc so far what makes u think i want to spend more? even if its $30 extra?

It's 1% of your PC cost, when you put it that way.

If you can afford the Ferrari, you can afford the gas....

Edit: Doubt I've even spent $3,250 on PC's in my lifetime. What are you running?

I mean to each his own, but it's arguable that this money will make the most noticeable visual difference out of all the money you spent so far, and if so, it is not money going to waste. Most 1st time calibrators are amazed at the difference. If you are not looking to tweak your display to it's fullest and are comfortable with your results so far, definitely save your money, not a big deal either way and no sweat off any of our backs ;)

But if you want that 24" LG to look it's best (and noticeably so), there's no way around a hardware calibrator. Eyeballing it produces all kinds of crazy results, but never anything accurate ;)

Maybe return BOTH of your 8800GTXs and get a 8800 GTS 320mb to pass you over until the 9800 series comes out since it'll seriously rape your 8800GTX SLI setup. :p

I have to say, anyone that spends $90 to calibrate their monitor(s) (when there is free software out there that will do nearly the same), is either extremely rich and foolishly throwing away their money, or their just plain stupid. If you have that much money to burn ... i'll give you my paypal email, im sure I can find a better use for it :p

my $3,200 PC SPECS:

Antec 900 Case with sidefan
500GB seagate barracuda
Evga 680i SLI mobo
E6850 CPU w/ Tuniq Tower
2 X 8800GTX SLI
4gb GSKILL DDR2-800
Logitech Controller
Logitech Gaming Mouse
Saitek Keyboard
24" LCD Monitor
DVD Writer w/lightscribe
USB card reader
Floppy disk
Vista ultimate 64bit

I probably forgot one or two things..

Thats about $3000? i bought all from newegg.. i live in NJ so i had to pay like $200 for tax.

I have to say, anyone that spends $90 to calibrate their monitor(s) (when there is free software out there that will do nearly the same), is either extremely rich and foolishly throwing away their money, or their just plain stupid. If you have that much money to burn ... i'll give you my paypal email, im sure I can find a better use for it :p

Eyeballing doesn't work nearly half as well as a hardware calibrator.

So, if I drop $70 on a Spyder2Express, can you give me a link to some of this free software that the Spyder2 Suite will do? Or the Pro version. I certainly don't have money to burn, but I don't mind paying for something that does the job.

Getting a pic, editing it, uploading it to get it printed, then of have to pic of your daughter with a white shirt that looks green really sucks. Since 8x10 cost about $4 at shutterfly.com, doing it 2 or 3 times to get it right would actually cost you more in the long run.

Also i dont understand why people keep "waiting" for something new to come out..

I believe if u like something just buy it..

Theres ALWAYS gonna be something better than what u have coming out.. so why wait?

Example u buy a 300HP Porsche this year.. next year the power will be 310HP.. next year 320HP..etc

so you can wait all you want for 9800 but then few months later something better will be out.. so why not enjoy the 8800GTX

No, but it's worked for Bose. If it looks or sounds good, then leave it. Who cares if there are holes missing in the frequency range, or the color red isn't as red as it could be.

Unless it looks way off, I wouldn't even bother calibrating.

To the OP: WHY do you want to calibrate it? Does it look off? Or you just want it "better"?

Btw, with your supposed attitude about dropping $3k "cuz you like the stuffs", you're cheaping about $30 to streamline parts of it? Calibrating is like overclocking your GTX's, making them/it a little better.

Did you buy an aftermarket HSF for your CPU? Same thing here.

Buy it or not, but stop whining :)

Also i dont understand why people keep "waiting" for something new to come out..

I believe if u like something just buy it..

Theres ALWAYS gonna be something better than what u have coming out.. so why wait?

Example u buy a 300HP Porsche this year.. next year the power will be 310HP.. next year 320HP..etc

so you can wait all you want for 9800 but then few months later something better will be out.. so why not enjoy the 8800GTX

Because you bought the 8800GTXs near the end of nVidia's G80 product cycle. The G90 series is coming this fall within a few months. If you were buying the 8800GTXs at say the beginning of this year, then I wouldn't say wait for the G90s but since it's already July...:rolleyes:

And your Porsche analogy is wrong. It's like having a 300hp Porsche this year and a 600hp Porsche next year. :D

I have to say, anyone that spends $90 to calibrate their monitor(s) (when there is free software out there that will do nearly the same), is either extremely rich and foolishly throwing away their money, or their just plain stupid. If you have that much money to burn ...
There's a large difference between just eyeballing it, and using a hardware colorimeter, night and day difference actually. And there are also a few good entry level hardware calibrators that range between $55-$75.

You get what you pay for in this case: free software will give you poor inaccurate results, $55 will get you a decent entry level hardware calibrator, >$200 will get you amateur/entry level professional stuff. And each product is better than the next. I'm tempted to say that you eventually hit the point of diminishing returns with the pricier stuff, but i don't know enough about the priciest products to comment, and the pro's swear by the same equipment that costs thousands ;)

I have downloaded and used every imaginable piece of free software and imho they were barely "better than nothing", and none of them measure ambient light to boot. Not saying that everyone needs to get a hardware calibrator, not at all. But those who want to max out their displays can do so inexpensively and very effectively.

Here's a whole forum dedicated to proper display calibration: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=139

Less than half as well. There are people with very trained eyes who can get ok results, but that's about it.

So, if I drop $70 on a Spyder2Express, can you give me a link to some of this free software that the Spyder2 Suite will do? Or the Pro version. I certainly don't have money to burn, but I don't mind paying for something that does the job.

Getting a pic, editing it, uploading it to get it printed, then of have to pic of your daughter with a white shirt that looks green really sucks. Since 8x10 cost about $4 at shutterfly.com, doing it 2 or 3 times to get it right would actually cost you more in the long run.
He's not talking about free software that you can use with a spyder colorimeter, he's talking about software that's used with just eyeballs alone.

I linked the spyder2express in an earlier post for $55 shipped, if you want to save a few dollars then get it there (or get it from your favorite retailer). Try out the included software first, It's supposedly pretty good. Then later on if you get adventurous you can research different free software posted here. The spyder is also a good choice because it's included colorimeter is the most compatible with the free software floating around.

Thanks for the link to the spyder2. I've been looking for one, but the $75-$100 price was just a bit more than wanted. $55 is much better.

Should be pretty interesting, the first two displays to be calibrated will be my wife's 7 year old ViewSonic VE150 15" LCD, and my 5 year old Planar PV174 17" LCD. I see people complaining about today's LCDs, and just laugh when I imagine them using one of these two monitors :)

You don't even want to know what we paid for these two monitors. I just found the receipt for the ViewSonic last night while I was packing for our move to a new place. Ugh.

Why doesnt someone buy one from ebay...then you can make money off it, Rent it out to people on this forum for like...15 bucks, they calibrate their moniter and send it back??...could work

There's a large difference between just eyeballing it, and using a hardware colorimeter, night and day difference actually. And there are also a few good entry level hardware calibrators that range between $55-$75.

You get what you pay for in this case: free software will give you poor inaccurate results, $55 will get you a decent entry level hardware calibrator, >$200 will get you amateur/entry level professional stuff. And each product is better than the next. I'm tempted to say that you eventually hit the point of diminishing returns with the pricier stuff, but i don't know enough about the priciest products to comment, and the pro's swear by the same equipment that costs thousands ;)

I have downloaded and used every imaginable piece of free software and imho they were barely "better than nothing", and none of them measure ambient light to boot. Not saying that everyone needs to get a hardware calibrator, not at all. But those who want to max out their displays can do so inexpensively and very effectively.

Here's a whole forum dedicated to proper display calibration: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=139

Less than half as well. There are people with very trained eyes who can get ok results, but that's about it.

I don't recall EVER having used the word 'eyeballing it' or anything close to that. What I said was there was free software out there that can do a sufficient job of calibrating a monitor. The only scenario where I could see justifying a $90 investment on monitor calibration would be in high production graphics, CGI, film production, etc. ... I don't think a gamer needs to spend $90 to test their monitor.

If the OP doesn't see a visible problem ... well why the hell waste money on something to fix a problem you aren't even seeing? Unless of course its to brag to you're friends that you're an idiot.

If the OP doesn't see a visible problem ... well why the hell waste money on something to fix a problem you aren't even seeing? Unless of course its to brag to you're friends that you're an idiot.

$50, and you know that the money you are spending is going to improve your visual experience. Example: I'm perfectly happy with my Sennheiser HD 555 headphones, but I know that if I hook them up to an amp, they'll be even better.

...The only scenario where I could see justifying a $90 investment on monitor calibration would be in high production graphics, CGI, film production, etc. ... I don't think a gamer needs to spend $90 to test their monitor..
LOL, you must be smoking something good. In a production environment they would much likely be using something like a the Eye One costing anywhere between $1000-3000 depending on the package. No one would every use an $90 entry level consumer calibrator in a professional environment.

Like some other folks have posted you can pick up the Spyder Pro 2 for about 40-70 on Ebay if you keep your eyes open.

But if you are not willing to pick up a colorimeter then honestly this is the wrong thread for you.:p

Lastly there are no free programs I am aware of that can calibrate your monitor without hardware. The other type of free programs such as Adobe Gamma involve you "eye balling" which is not likely to result in good or accurate results.

I don't recall EVER having used the word 'eyeballing it' or anything close to that. What I said was there was free software out there that can do a sufficient job of calibrating a monitor.
Didn't have to say it, eyeballs are what's used when there's no colorimeter. It's been established that a new hardware solution can be had for $55, even less for used. Does the OP need it? Of course not, but he asked a question so i posted my take on it. Didn't realize till after the fact that he was probably referring to free software tweaks (and not $$ hardware). The rest we'll attribute to a bad bowl of wheaties :rolleyes:

Back