Call Of Juarez: Bound in Blood Released

1920x1200 GTS 250 512 MB, constant 60 FPS here.

surprised how pretty this game looks and the performance is still amazing.

I always tend to have these dumb little moments in these CoJ games.

Act V, Chapter XIV. You're stuck in the barn and it gets set on fire with you and three horses in it. I must be blind, but where is the water to put that fire out?

I always tend to have these dumb little moments in these CoJ games.

Act V, Chapter XIV. You're stuck in the barn and it gets set on fire with you and three horses in it. I must be blind, but where is the water to put that fire out?

There are some water buckets on the ground next to the horses.

There are some water buckets on the ground next to the horses.

I must have a glitch or something because I've tried picking those up and I can't. I'll see what I can do. I was going to say: I can't be THAT blind. ;)

EDIT: Fixed. I had to restart my machine and come at it fresh. Weird glitch.

Last edited:
I played through the PC version last week. Overall I'm very, very impressed with the graphics engine and the high quality production. The levels set in the forest and rocky mountains really look breathtaking, and the game runs smooth as butter.

I wasn't as impressed with the gameplay. The movement and shooting never felt quite right to me, and there is really no AI whatsoever. The gunfights got really boring really quickly, and since the game was so short there wasn't really anything else offered. It really could have used another 5 hours worth of content in side quests and cool new places to see. The story was pretty good. The voices really irritated me. Overall it's worth playing, but not at $50.

I played through the PC version last week. Overall I'm very, very impressed with the graphics engine and the high quality production. The levels set in the forest and rocky mountains really look breathtaking, and the game runs smooth as butter.

Agreed.

I wasn't as impressed with the gameplay. The movement and shooting never felt quite right to me, and there is really no AI whatsoever. The gunfights got really boring really quickly, and since the game was so short there wasn't really anything else offered. It really could have used another 5 hours worth of content in side quests and cool new places to see. The story was pretty good. The voices really irritated me. Overall it's worth playing, but not at $50.

The single player game is simply too short for $50. I wish I would have waited for this thing to drop to maybe $30.

Oh well...I know I've spent $50 on a lot worse than this in the past.

Just an update, I'm on what must be the penultimate section: the really hamhanded delivery of the cheesy story has gotten to me. I'm finding it difficult to sit through these too-long cut-scenes, and william's bitching is driving me up the wall.

In retrospect, with games like Fallout 3 having gone on sale for $25, I can't imagine paying more than $15 for this. In my opinion, if you're considering it, wait until it hits bargain bin prices.

Just an update, I'm on what must be the penultimate section: the really hamhanded delivery of the cheesy story has gotten to me. I'm finding it difficult to sit through these too-long cut-scenes, and william's bitching is driving me up the wall.

In retrospect, with games like Fallout 3 having gone on sale for $25, I can't imagine paying more than $15 for this. In my opinion, if you're considering it, wait until it hits bargain bin prices.

Agreed, even though I like the game. It just simply is way too damned short. I'd probably be a little more generous on price...maybe around $25 or so but the point is the same in any event.

It's a western...westerns are all about melodrama.

It's a western...westerns are all about melodrama.

Perhaps -- I guess I just don't think the story needs to be so obscenely predictable and cheesy. I just feel like it's such a missed opportunity given the setting.

Perhaps -- I guess I just don't think the story needs to be so obscenely predictable and cheesy. I just feel like it's such a missed opportunity given the setting.

And the way too long cutscenes are also annoying - there is more cutscene than there is game.

it took me 6hrs 30mins of gameplay to complete the game with all the side quests this weekend. played it on easy mode. over all loved the gfx and cut scenes. the game was bit enjoyed every bit of it. :D

I haven't watched a single cutscene yet. I'm not really interested in a bad story, just in shooting people :)

Feels like an early call of duty with mediocre action. $15 at best again another vote.

it took me 6hrs 30mins of gameplay to complete the game with all the side quests this weekend. played it on easy mode. over all loved the gfx and cut scenes. the game was bit enjoyed every bit of it. :D

Took me 7 1/2 hours on medium and doing all the side quests. Great game as it tied together all the pieces from the first game. I must admit I enjoyed the Call of Juarez series as much or more as any I've ever played. Good story (especially for a shooter), great voice acting and nice graphics make these two great games to pick up and play. :cool:

Did anyone else have to crank up their mouse sensitivity to win draws? I played with it on medium throughout the game (auto aim made high sensitivity a pain in the ass) but when it came to draws I had to crank it up to be able to get to my gun in time to shoot.

Did anyone else have to crank up their mouse sensitivity to win draws? I played with it on medium throughout the game (auto aim made high sensitivity a pain in the ass) but when it came to draws I had to crank it up to be able to get to my gun in time to shoot.

You can hold his hand much closer to the gun. The draws were yet another problem I have with this game...seems like a glorified quicktime-type event.

This game is horrible compared to the first one.

Auto-aim? Really?

Also, the voice acting ruins the game. I'd rather sit through a cavity filling while watching Lifetime than play the game again and hear the terrible voiceover. Also, the sound seems to be fucked up. Its so quiet and only stuff occurring a few feet around you are audible.

Terrible, Terrible, TERRIBLE sequel.

Did the same thing. I've calibrated my G5 mouse to play on the lowest sensitivity, so I'd just crank the sensitivity up on the mouse sensitivity buttons when I duel.

Yes and no. There's some very annoying platforming and game play issues that I remember from the first one that I didn't miss in this game.

For example: I'm remembering the mountain level with Billy where you had to use the lasso and climb up the mountain to get to the eagle's nest. Talk about frustrating!

The stealth levels were universally terrible as well. I sure as hell didn't miss any of those.

I liked the first CoJ but I think some folks are remembering it through rosey colored glasses.

Auto-aim? Really?

This was incredibly noobish and lame to include this.

Also, the voice acting ruins the game. I'd rather sit through a cavity filling while watching Lifetime than play the game again and hear the terrible voiceover. Also, the sound seems to be fucked up. Its so quiet and only stuff occurring a few feet around you are audible.

I didn't have this problem and I liked the voice acting myself.

A mixed bag just like the first CoJ was a mixed bag for some of the same reasons and some different...at least IMO.

I'd like to see a third game come along at some point that dumps the babyish console itis things like the auto aim and gives us a kick ass Western FPS with adventure, exploring, open world, good story, and maybe a light RPG element thrown in.

There's SO much potential here that it's not even funny.

I'm still waiting for that one Western game that comes out that finally kicks ass and has no suckdom in it whatsoever. I can't believe it's 2009 and we're still waiting on that or at least I am.

Maybe Red Dead Redemption will come close in the Fall. I only see it slated for consoles this Fall so I guess the PC, if it ever sees it, has to wait until 2010.

Last edited:

Auto-aim? Really?

I watched my friend play this the other night from the beginning and I must agree- the voice acting is truly the worst I've ever heard. Gameplay looked kinda familiar too- I called it Call of Duty: Antedem.

I don't understand the complaints about the voice acting. Just like the first I thought the voice acting was very good and there wasn't one voice over in game that made me think "This sounds terrible." To each his own I guess.

I really disliked how no matter where your brother was you could hear him fine, some times I ran up ahead so far yet it sounded like he was right behind me and... FAIL LEFT BROTHER BEHIND.

Gimme a break he could have caught up... stupid hand holding console bs.

I watched my friend play this the other night from the beginning and I must agree- the voice acting is truly the worst I've ever heard. Gameplay looked kinda familiar too- I called it Call of Duty: Antedem.

I wish. Any and all COD games still have considerably better overall gameplay and less stupid hand and annoying holding consolitis quirks by far.

Nate's right. That "don't leave your brother behind" is just BS flat out.

I think the overall voice acting issue centers around the annoying little brother being a bitch the whole time, and the fact that none of them sounded like they were from the deep south. Also, it seems like there were literally 3 voice actors doing all the recording. I swear, half the secondary characters are played by the same actor as one of the brothers. Its hard to put a specific complaint on it, other than it sucks.

The only worse voice over I can think of is the German voice in COD World at War multiplayer. That, I must admit, is a little worse.

I really disliked how no matter where your brother was you could hear him fine, some times I ran up ahead so far yet it sounded like he was right behind me and... FAIL LEFT BROTHER BEHIND.

I agree, I really didn't like those boundaries. There's a "boss fight" where a logical area of cover from the rain of bullets/dynamite fails the game because apparently you left your brother behind... Really ridiculous.

Regarding the other discussion on the auto-aim: I completely agree.

In fact, reading this thread and seeing all the problems I had with the game articulated makes me mad that I paid good friggin money for it. My fault I suppose..

In fact, reading this thread and seeing all the problems I had with the game articulated makes me mad that I paid good friggin money for it. My fault I suppose..

Me, too but I was really jonesing for a new game and a new Western shooter and such. It wasn't all bad by any means but no way was it worth $50 IMO.

I have no one to blame but myself for pulling the trigger though. ;)

I still immensely enjoyed the game, my complaining is simply the little things that pissed me off but in no way ruined the game. It just would have been x times better if they hadn't treated everyone like a "needs hand held couch gamer" (no offence to consolers, but dumbing down is ruining games)

I still immensely enjoyed the game, my complaining is simply the little things that pissed me off but in no way ruined the game. It just would have been x times better if they hadn't treated everyone like a "needs hand held couch gamer" (no offence to consolers, but dumbing down is ruining games)

Exactly how I feel about it. And if it had been a bit longer that would have helped, too.

Auto-aim? Really?

I agree. This game is just not fun at all to play. I just force myself to play through the levels to continue the story. I hate games with gameplay like this.

I agree. This game is just not fun at all to play. I just force myself to play through the levels to continue the story. I hate games with gameplay like this.

Funny, I was the exact opposite. Haven't watched a cutscene since the first one, which I found unbearable, but I play through just to shoot more people.

+1 For how great this game is. I was really suprised by how nice it looked, too :)

Back