Call of Juarez - The best game you haven't played!

Hey guys,

I just realized I had a copy of the game Call of Juarez I got at CC for ~$5 and I hadn't installed it. I was inspired to install it because there was a post in the [H]ot Deals section, and gogamer has it for ~$10 shipped. Well, I installed the game at 5 yesterday, and just beat it 15 min ago. I played the game non stop, except to eat and go to the bathroom. I'm not sure I've ever done this with a game before.

The game has great, maybe even amazing graphics (especially because it's almost 2 years old now). The graphics are nice and bright, a nice departure from other things out today. Large open plains and areas are all over. You play as two main characters, without giving any story away it's a hunter and the hunted theme, and it's very unique, you are pulling for both people the who time and the story is good enough to keep you playing to see what happens. One character is a bastard vagabond, and the other is a hardened gun toting man of the lord (he's bad ass!). One character is more of the shoot em up guy and the other is more platform, but uses weapons a lot too. Speaking of weapons, they are sweet too! You get a variety of pistols, shottys, rifles, dynamite, a freakin bull whip, old timey gatling guns, and my favorite to use the bow and arrow. Each character has a special move that puts the weapons into bullet time. One has dual wield where you draw the two pistols and u get two cross hairs in slow mo, and the other gets bullet time bow and arrows (fun shit!). Its classic western storyline is pretty awesome, along w/ the environments you explore (Towns, forts forest, trains, all the fun western staples).

The game is of the linear sort, but to be honest I don't think there's anything wrong with that, sandbox games get a little old after a while. I had just as much fun with this as, probably more, than Crysis or COD4. I find it's fun factor right up there with Chronicles of Riddick: EFBB, and those who have played it know what I'm talking about. The game runs super smooth maxed out at 1680x1050 on my 9600gt. Have you guys played this game yet? It's so much fun, I whole heatedly recommend this, as it seems to have slipped under the radar for many.

Have you played it? What do you think?

I also got mine at CC for 5 bucks a couple months ago but not played it yet. I picked up a bunch of older games from Amazon and will fire up COJ when I finish them. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I will get around to it. ;)

Yes...great game. I've played through it twice. Once in DX9 and last time in DX10. Amazing graphical upgrade they gave it in DX10 mode.
And yes.....very fun. Switching back and forth between characters was a great idea.

Because of the GoGamer sale, I checked out some reviews of this game, and snagged a copy. Certainly sounds interesting, and many of the complaints were that it required too much computer. Two years later, sounds like it plays nice now.

I never managed to survive the first level, so I just left it on my shelf. :eek:

It certainly looked good, but I failed at the gameplay.

I downloaded COJ direct from the developer in EU long before it was available in retail in North America. I think it's a pretty fantastic game, but I definitely preferred playing the reverend's action parts to the early Billy parts which are more stealth and puzzle-solving. Eventually Billy gets to do a little more action and the game is more consistently fun. The graphics are pretty sweet. I remember being really impressed by the slow-motion, and depth of field effects as well as the 3D sound.

Cool things about this game:
- First-person whip-swinging Indiana Jones style
- Slow motion gunfights
- Amazing 3D sound design
- Large outdoor environments full of simulated wildlife
- You get to ride a horse
- You play a murderous preacher who has a bible in one of his weapon slots

I never finished the game but from what I've read online I must have played 90% of it. Now I wish I had finished it. Arrgh!

Definitely worth recommending if you want a change of setting in your action game.

This is a must play game if you ask me. I too got it online direct from the developer in EU long before it was available in retail in North America. I've played it through twice complately and after reading this thread I'm very tempted to install it again for another time. :cool:

This is a must play game if you ask me. I too got it online direct from the developer in EU long before it was available in retail in North America. I've played it through twice complately and after reading this thread I'm very tempted to install it again for another time. :cool:

The US version apparently has updated graphics and such, you may want to check that out.

i got it for 2.99 closeout at best buy months ago for the 360.

INCREDIBLE GAME. awesome on my 52" samsung lcd.

get it NOW!!!!!

its a good game, the thing I most remember about it is running around the desert looking at my legs.

I have COJ but haven't gotten too far in it because I have so many other gmaes to play. I just installed Vistaq64 so have to start over from the beginning again. Runs fine on Vista64 and has DX10 graphics but might be best to jut play in DX9 graphics because the DX10 graphics are quite demanding and I prefer decent frame rate over eye candy. IMO, current hardware is just not good enough for DX10 graphics to pay at a really good frame rate. This game has a decent MP diversion too which I did play for a bit.

Another good thing about this game is that no patch is required unless you play on Vista in DX10 graphics mode and then it is just a very small patch to download.

Ok...this thread convinced me to try it out. I find and won an auction on EBAY for $3.99 with free shipping. I have a lot of games to play but it will be good to have this waiting.

Yeah it I believe it has to be one of the best! I pre-order the game expecting it to be released the date that was said from the COJ website, however they kept pushing the date back. Finally they said the one you ordered was the US version and was not being released until like a year later! So I cancelled and bought it from gogamer.

Sweet, sweet game. I love western style games. Especially with DX10 graphics, this game looks phenomenal...

Just picked it up off ebay for $4.49 shipped....As good as it sounds I cant go wrong for less than $5

I got it from Target for the Xbox 360 about 6 months ago for $7. Played through most of it, it's pretty fun. Definitely worth the $7. Better than some games I paid $50 for.

played it few months back...enjoyed it. only played DX9 b/c im not quite ready to plunge into Vista yet w/ XP x64 working flawlessly. has a decent storyline and the gameplay is good. AI was hit or miss, tho. sometimes they couldnt hit ya with a shotgun from point blank and others they'd pop ya 3 times in a row from 500' w/ a rusty revolver.

i LOVED the akimbo independant shooting tho. overall i'd give it an 87/100. AI could us some work but the GFX and sound are great, OK storyline, and good gameplay.

i recommend every PC gamer to play it

So do you have to download the DirectX 10 patch to get the DirectX 10 effects? Are they not installed in the game?

I have it and like it, just haven't finished it, along with
Crysis
Bioshock
Call of Juarez
Call of Duty 4
Painkiller Expansion
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
I just don't seem to be into gaming anymore. :-(

Guess I'M in for one too........almost bought this 2 or 3 months ago at bestbuy and I'm glad i waited! ;)

If it wasn't for the bow and arrow, I wouldn't have enjoyed this game.

That being said, it's an average game at best -- I did enjoy it, but thought it was far too linear and easy to play. The "slow mo" on demand makes it far to easy to kill your enemies. However, the story line was good - I enjoyed playing different characters throughout the game.

This is good to see. I just purchased it last week at the gogamer.com sale and have yet to receive it.

Looking forward to it arriving now. I've got a little pile of games waiting to be completed now.

Could not beat having the bow and arrow on the last map with slowmo. Was amazingly fun using that combination.

Just beat this game last night and it was awesome! The graphics were great, great storyline, and a neat concept. Wish they would release more unique games like this.

Just beat this game last night and it was awesome! The graphics were great, great storyline, and a neat concept. Wish they would release more unique games like this.

Me too, I was so pulled into the game because it was the total package, not nearly enough games like this out now.

Good game.

I got bored 3/4 of the way in but finished it.

And the platforming kind of sucked with the rope and everything.

Decent game though.

just got my copy i bought off ebay, i also bought ArmA and Lost Planet, between the three of them I spent less than $11 shipped.

I'm set for games for a while

Wow, where was all this hype a year and half ago? Might have to check out this game now.

I 100% enjoyed this game when it came out. With or without the dx10 part, it really looks good and is a joy (yet tough at times) of a game.

Back