Calling all SoCal Adelphia/Comcast ---> TimeWarner Cable owners!

legcramp

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys on Southern California that use to own adelphia/comcast now that timewarner took it over!

Are you guys getting extremely slow speeds during the night time? 8-11 PM? My service has went down the drain at these hours every single day.

Now the real question would be. if so then what?

There's rumor floating about how they are going to up the bandwidth to 15mb/sec 4 freex0rs

I dont know, I am just wondering if it is only me, but they better up the speed, at least DOUBLE so my ping would drop from 200 to 100 lol.

Seriously, I dont know what's going on, but when adelphia was on its own, the service was sooooo smooth and snappy, now it's slow and crap. :( I am one unhappy customer.

Oh Y eah I remember them days when it was mediaone b 4 comcast. When I was the only one in the entire city me thinks with 1.5mb connection...

Good times... good times...... *stares dreamly out the window*

Having timewarner take over adelphia is the best thing that can happen. I use time warner and love the service. In fact its probably the best. Saying that, i use dsl in the office and damn thing is the most stable i ever seen. by far dsl in the last 3 years has only been down once for a whole day thats it.

In the time since the takeover, I don't think we've had an outage yet. (Knock on wood.) Adelphia used to go down as often as a two dollar hooker.

im from boston, i havent experience any perfromance slowage here.. with 3-4 comps online at the same time gaming, lag isnt a big prob for us. thier are times where we get d/c but thats probably because our network is over heated cuz of us gaming haha atleast 15hrs a day. for $10 more u can get 8mbps =P, RCN in the other hand has some nasty/fast speed for a hefty price.

aZn_plyR said:
Hey guys on Southern California that use to own adelphia/comcast now that timewarner took it over!

Are you guys getting extremely slow speeds during the night time? 8-11 PM? My service has went down the drain at these hours every single day.

My teammate lives close to San Bernidino and his ping in COD2 shoots up to 150+ every night at the same time. He has Adelphia.

Lethal said:
In the time since the takeover, I don't think we've had an outage yet. (Knock on wood.) Adelphia used to go down as often as a two dollar hooker.

Two dollar hooker. Hell what part of the country do you find them. Inflation baby inflation. :D

I'm in New England and Comcast is taking over areas that Adelphia once serviced (VT, NH, parts of MA). Currenlty Adel. tops out at around 3MB, while T/W users in NH get 5-6MB, Comcast users in MA can get up to 10MB....

Hopefully whoever services my area bumps up the speed, FiOS isn't going to be replacing my 3MB DSL anytime soon here...

Adelphia speed for me has always been up and down in So-Cal. Once TW took over the ony real issue I had was with email. I solved that problem by not using their pop3 email.
Man, I hope we can get FIOS down here in the near future!

Thought I'm bump this instead of starting a new thread to relate my first up-close and personal experience with TimeWarner tech support.

Last night we were experiencing more than just a "little lag". I'm talking latency thru the stratosphere, where it would take 5-10 minutes for a simple web page to load if it did at all, and most of the time it didn't. We did have a connection of sorts, at least page titles would show up even if the page didn't, and I sent myself a test email and it went thru.

Call them up, go thru all the button pressing and am told my hold time would be ~10 minutes. Fine. After hearing their stupid "Your call is important to us, blah, blah" announcement every 20 seconds for 35 minutes (which, along with the obnoxious "hold" music, is enough to drive you postal), I finally get to talk to Mandy, who asked if I was calling about my cable tv or cable internet. Hello, but what were all those buttons I had to push up front for that asked me that kind of crap? So if cable tv is fucking up, I gotta wait thru the same queue? And at least Adelphia used to put up a recorded announcement of known problem areas, so if yours was listed, at least you had a clue that they knew and were already working on it.

I turn the call over to hubby to talk tech, since he is the "sysadmin" of the house. She insists the problem is on our end (it's not) and says they'll have to send someone out to check it. Says they'll have to do something to boost our signal strength. Hello, bitch, but that's the opposite of the problem. Our signal strength is too strong, it's 9+ and it should be ~1 and we have already installed two splitters to decrease it because this was a known issue with Adelphia.

Requested escalation to "tier 2" which she said they couldn't do because it was "our" problem. Insisted on speaking with a supervisor who finally admitted it was "their" problem but wouldn't do anything except set an appt. Said they could have someone out between 8 and 5 tomorrow. What about those "on time" appointments with shorter windows like you promise in your tv ads? Can't give you one of those til next week, but the tech will call you half an hour before them come out. Fine, then.

So this morning our service is back to normal, signal strength is fine. Tech calls at 9, hubby says don't bother coming out. He said the tech sounded like a total stoner who (paraphasingly) call TW a bunch of idiot assholes. :D

I got the distinct impression that TW CSRs don't like customers who know more about the problem than they do. :rolleyes:

Anyone else have any updates on their transition to TW?

Lethal said:
Thought I'm bump this instead of starting a new thread to relate my first up-close and personal experience with TimeWarner tech support.

Last night we were experiencing more than just a "little lag". I'm talking latency thru the stratosphere, where it would take 5-10 minutes for a simple web page to load if it did at all, and most of the time it didn't. We did have a connection of sorts, at least page titles would show up even if the page didn't, and I sent myself a test email and it went thru.

Call them up, go thru all the button pressing and am told my hold time would be ~10 minutes. Fine. After hearing their stupid "Your call is important to us, blah, blah" announcement every 20 seconds for 35 minutes (which, along with the obnoxious "hold" music, is enough to drive you postal), I finally get to talk to Mandy, who asked if I was calling about my cable tv or cable internet. Hello, but what were all those buttons I had to push up front for that asked me that kind of crap? So if cable tv is fucking up, I gotta wait thru the same queue? And at least Adelphia used to put up a recorded announcement of known problem areas, so if yours was listed, at least you had a clue that they knew and were already working on it.

I turn the call over to hubby to talk tech, since he is the "sysadmin" of the house. She insists the problem is on our end (it's not) and says they'll have to send someone out to check it. Says they'll have to do something to boost our signal strength. Hello, bitch, but that's the opposite of the problem. Our signal strength is too strong, it's 9+ and it should be ~1 and we have already installed two splitters to decrease it because this was a known issue with Adelphia.

Requested escalation to "tier 2" which she said they couldn't do because it was "our" problem. Insisted on speaking with a supervisor who finally admitted it was "their" problem but wouldn't do anything except set an appt. Said they could have someone out between 8 and 5 tomorrow. What about those "on time" appointments with shorter windows like you promise in your tv ads? Can't give you one of those til next week, but the tech will call you half an hour before them come out. Fine, then.

So this morning our service is back to normal, signal strength is fine. Tech calls at 9, hubby says don't bother coming out. He said the tech sounded like a total stoner who (paraphasingly) call TW a bunch of idiot assholes. :D

I got the distinct impression that TW CSRs don't like customers who know more about the problem than they do. :rolleyes:

Anyone else have any updates on their transition to TW?

I don't think its just TW, i have experience with this before few years back with comcast. I just bought a new modem in my openion is much more reliable then the ones they give out and wanted them to know I changed it. for a simple request it turned out to be an hour long conversation arguing why I changed it.

I actually work in a Time Warner call center. The situation you described to me seems to happen a lot here, they just "train" people and throw them on the floor. Then those people are either lazy or don't know what the fuck they are talking about... I'm actually in the "Tier 3 Network support", and still have to help the Tier One agents sitting around me.

This call center follows the lazy, hire whoever to get paid pattern. They obivisouly don't trust the people they hire, they give limited access to resources. I'm even limited, so often times I have to tell the customer to locate another call center because I can't pull up there information/details. Rather annoying, but hey Tier 3 looks good on a resume does it not?

I have worked for Adelphia for 3 years, almost took a job with comcast as a capacity planning engineer, but now i work for Time warner as a Plant Cordinator. So im familiar with all of thier systems. Usually best bet is to hot dslreports forum, alot of peopel post in your area, and sometimes techs from customer service will troll and then inspect your area.

Ping times higher, slow response times at night..

Well majority of your service usage for both internet and cable is from 6pm-11pm.
Think fiber optics alot people using two way services of VoD and we really dont have alot of places with switch video. so more use of people ordering movies and streaming to cable boxes is going to bring down services speeds, cuase there is more services interruption on the line.

Along with most ptp users , gamers, people just using the internet.. you are going to see high ping times..

what you should do: post traceroutes and pings to East coast, central and west coast. during slow response times,

and do the same thing during the day. and compare.

then we can dig thru here and tell you where the problem is at.

good luck

Back