Calling Westinghouse LVM-37w3 owners -- need your help.

Blahman

[H]ard|Gawd
Update2: Actually I still need the VGA EDID from an LVM-37w3 or LVM-37w3se. Please follow the instructions below, but use a straight VGA to VGA cable to connect instead of DVI or HDMI.

If you have an LVM-37w3 or an LVM-37w3se (the SE version started being sold around June of this year) and do NOT have the notorious bugged EDID version (as evidenced by the symptoms below), I need your help, so that I can come up with a comprehensive fix to the faulty EDIDs sent out with a great number of SE versions of these sets.

If you DON'T have these problems:
  • When your machine first boots, the POST/BIOS screen is cut off on the sides by black bars
  • Your monitor is identified by the NVIDIA drivers or PowerStrip as a WDE4207 or W4207
  • When running at Windows 1920x1080 resolution, pushing the "info" button on the remote shows that it is running at 1920x1080i (interlaced)
  • Some devices, such as the Xbox 360, are unable to select 1080p as an output format when connected via DVI or HDMI

Then please follow these instructions to extract your monitor's EDID which I can use to provide a fix for the bugged EDIDs on the affected SE models:

1. Connect your monitor via DVI or HDMI if not already
  2. Download, install and run MonInfo
  3. Select the Westinghouse monitor from the dropdown box
  4. Right click in the text box and do Select All, then Right click again and do copy.
  5. PM me the text, wrapping it in CODE tags (select it and click the # sign at the top of the message editor).

Note that MonInfo is an older program and some newer video cards might not be able to utilize it to read the EDID correctly. If you have a card older than the ATI X1900 or NVIDIA 8x00 series you should be good to go.
In particular I am looking for the "Raw EDID extension (CEA-861)" section which lists detailed DTV timings. I need this info to compare to that on the bad sets, and if they are indeed different, the developers of PowerStrip, who I am in communication with via this thread, may be convinced to update their program to support the writing of this extension data, finally allowing for a comprehensive fix to the LVM-37w3se EDID bug!

Just PM'd you with my 37W3's info, I can't verify the XBOX function as I don't have one but everything else works fine. Good luck with the project!

Thanks, I responded to your PM. Unfortunately your card is too new for MonInfo, it can't read directly from the EDID with that card. If you have another computer with an older video card to try on that would be great.

Do you need to not have any of those problems to help? I mean, everything is perfect with mine since I did a custom timing for it, except for 2 thing, one of them been that it shows itself as a "W4207", but the others things you mentioned I have no problem with. The second problem I am experiencing is that the left side of the screen gets cut off by less than 1 inch, but I found a method to fix it. I'll post screenshots or a video of that particular problem, and maybe add it to your list of defective.

Odin you have the bugged SE EDID, so no, I don't want yours ;)

You might want to try one or the other of the two fixes I've come up with so far, as they do fix most of the problems with the bugged SEs.

First is an NVIDIA driver only fix, works at the driver level to override the EDID.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1231737

Second is a more technical method that involves updating/flashing the monitor's EDID directly, but is a more thorough fix.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1232024

What I'm working on now is an improvement to the flashing method that should hopefully fix ALL of the problems the faulty EDID causes. But that is entirely dependent on the developers of PowerStrip updating their software to allow extension block writing.

By the way what method did you use to fix the picture being cut off on the side by ~6 px? I too struggled with that problem before coming up with these fixes.

Alright I've got everything I needed now, thanks everyone. Now let's cross our fingers and hope PowerStrip comes through for the little guy and updates their software with the extension block write feature.

By the way what method did you use to fix the picture being cut off on the side by ~6 px? I too struggled with that problem before coming up with these fixes.
Ok, here's a video I just did showing the problem, as well as explaining how to fix it. Maybe this helps somebody fix theirs. By the way, if someone needs screenshots of anything, like the custom timing, just let me know and I'll post them. Ok, Bye.

VIDEO HERE - (68.2mb) [right click to save]

sorry but the link appears to be broken

Code:
Not Found
The requested URL /stuff/hardforum/tutorials/westy37fix/mousefix.wmv was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. 
Apache/1.3.39 Server at danfra.net Port 80

Hey why didnt' I ever think of that? For those that don't want to watch the video all he did was change inputs with the remote and change back...

And this bug (the screen being shifted to the left by 6 pixels, thus cut off on the left and leaving a gap on the right) only happens when you're forcing a custom resolution to get 1080p.

Of course this isn't needed with the fixes I linked above.

Hey all sorry but I have yet another request.

I still need the VGA EDID from an LVM-37w3 or LVM-37w3se. Please follow the instructions in the original post, but use a straight VGA to VGA cable to connect instead of DVI or HDMI.

Back