Camera noob - Sister wants a Canon DR xti

IceWeasel

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all, my sister is asking for my help in finding a good deal on the Canon Digital Rebel XTi for her birthday present. I'm not much of a camera guy, only own a simple point-n-shoot Cano Powershot SD600.. so I thought I would enlist your help.

Can anyone tell me what kind of hardware I should be looking for? (i.e. some sort of kit or just a body + a particular lens) I'm guessing she isn't working with a very large budget, so can anyone tell me what I should expect to pay? (i.e. what $$$ is a ok deal, a really good deal, and a "if you see this price" then buy it deal?)

Thanks guys! Also, if you know of a better camera at the same price point, please recommend it! :)

P.S. Here is a direct quote from her on why she wants it.. haha

I like that camera, I want one that takes pictures like that or that one. I don't want an extremely expensive one, and one of my friends has it & I like it.

Does your sister have experience with an SLR or full camera besides a point and shoot? That will help push your decision of just body or body with lens / what lens.

The kit lens is the same that came on my XSi and is a good lens but always left me wanting more zoom, but its decently wide and not a bad lens. Great to learn and play with.

I just ordered a 28 - 135mm lens to use instead of the kit one and cannot wait for the better optics.

In picking a lens for her if you go that route you need to know what type of pictures she will primarily be taking. Animals and such a good zoom lens will work. Small things and Macro photography definitely get a macro lens.

If she is not sure then the kit lens offers a little bit of both. (although less on the macro side.)

You can find the XTi with the kit lens for less than $600 (usually 600 is the high point), and if you dig you can get some great deals and save even more money.

Find out what type of pictures she wants to take before you decide on a lens vs just kit lens.

I shot with an XT on a cruise a few weeks ago, and i'd say that stock lens is fine for what most people probably use (general pictures). If you want, you can throw in one of those F1.8 lenses for low light situations, but imo, stock lens should be good...for now.

she's even more of a noob to photography than myself. she also has a Canon point-n-shoot now. she is sort of artsy, so perhaps she is considering photography as an interest... no idea!

i would think the kit lens is more than enough for her needs if it can cover most situations. she wouldn't know the difference at this point.

so $600 is the high-end? so what is considered a really good deal (new or used)? she's a poor college student working minimum-wage, so the budget is as tight as possible.

Back