Can a 305W Power This Thing?

MetalSluggX

Limp Gawd
Hello, I'm running a Dimension 4700 with a [email protected]

I would like to upgrade to a 8600GT, would my 305W PSU handle this? I know Dell can use some pretty iffy parts but I hear some people can run a 8800 on some 12v's.

Chances are if you even have to ask, you should just upgrade the PSU. I dont know much about your Dell model, but be careful, sometimes they use proprietary parts with there machines, so if you buy an ATX PSU and plug it into a proprietary Dell motherboard, you might burn some stuff out. You can search online to see what the deal with that is though. Not saying its definite, but definitely something you should be aware of if your not already.

You'll be fine upgrading to an 8600gt with that power supply. The 8600gt has such a low power draw that it doesn't even require that separate connection directly to the power supply, it gets all it needs through the PCI-E slot.

Chances are if you even have to ask, you should just upgrade the PSU. I dont know much about your Dell model, but be careful, sometimes they use proprietary parts with there machines, so if you buy an ATX PSU and plug it into a proprietary Dell motherboard, you might burn some stuff out. You can search online to see what the deal with that is though. Not saying its definite, but definitely something you should be aware of if your not already.

is this correct? I always just jammed an ATX power supply into a whole bunch of my buddies' store bought HP and Compaq systems, and never fried anything - Have I just been lucky or is it only Dell?

so if you buy an ATX PSU and plug it into a proprietary Dell motherboard, you might burn some stuff out.
Dell stopped using those funky PSUs several years back. Those were mostly used with the P3 systems and earlier, and a couple of very early model Socket 423 Pentium 4s.

All the 4500/4600/4700, 2350/2400/3000 and 8250/8400 and later systems I had used regular ATX 12v PSUs. The biggest problem is there is no cut out in the back of the case for a power switch. To upgrade one of those systems you either have to get a model without a rear power switch or cut a hole out for one.
---

MetalSluggX: the "305W" PSU should be fine. It's rated very conservatively and is closer to a 420W model. The 8600GT uses little power anyways as mentioned above. I wouldn't put an 8800 in the 4700 case. It's very stuffy due to poor ventillation. I'd recommend get a slot cooler to exhaust heat outside the case, no matter which card you buy.

Should be able to, though I'd check your 12v output on the PSU before installing said vid card.

Back