Can a CRT Monitor Cause This Issue????

ToddMcF2002

Limp Gawd
I just had the strangest experience.

1. I go to boot XP and right after POST I get a message saying my video card is not getting power (x850 XT PE). My molex is perfectly seated!

2. I reboot and everything is normal. Not trusting that I reboot again. Right after POST I get a blue screen of death (too fast to read it) and the machine goes into a reboot loop.

3. I pull the x850 card and reseat it. On bootup - I get a black screen!

4. I basically rewire my whole machine to move molexes around and try different things - nothing. Black screen persists. I can log into windows without seeing what I'm doing so I know its either the card or the monitor.

5. Then I notice my CRT can't raise the CRT menu! The CRT is DEAD! I hook up a spare LCD TV and sure as sh*t the CRT is dead.

WHAT HAPPENED??? Is it possible the CRT was causing a bluescreen after POST? I didnt think that was possible???

Totally confused. I'm happy I'm back up and running on the backup LCD TV but I'm very confused by this whole drama!

I'd say there's a good chance the CRT caused the problem, since the events are so close together. Maybe a short formed inside your CRT (tin whiskers, electromigration, a bridging foreign particle like dust or an insect, or an IC went bad), and that caused two wires in the cable to be shorted...which confused the video card and caused system errors. Hey, just a guess.

Back