Can a slot 1 P2 mobo support a slot 1 P3?

ReNeGaDe*

Limp Gawd
Sorry I'm not all too clued up about this stuff. I was clearing out the garage today and found the old gladiator Pentium 2 233MHz system in pieces. It all still works ecept the hdd, so my idea was to just get a faster slot 1 processor off ebay and turn it all into a htpc system. However, I'm not all that sure if my current mobo will be able to support a Pentium 3, seeing as it was made before P3s came out, so I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could give me an answer,
Cheers,
Parag

Depends on the chipset, if it was made before the P3 though I would be suprised if it did.

Most P2's were 66mhz FSB, some were 100mhz FSB, all P3's were at least 100mhz FSB.

Also voltages varied greatly even with the P3 family.

==>lazn

Hmm there are switches on the motherboard to select a different FSB. I'll try and find the manual for it anywhere to see the highest FSB it supports.

Slot 1 boards utilizing the BX chipset will. If its socket 370 lovin' you need, all you need is a quality slocket addapeter.

For instance I have a slot 1 ASUS P2B-F that has run any Pentium 3 that I have thrown at it. My board says it has support for 133 FSBs, tho the BX never officially supported that. It can become unstable after folding for several hours, but I am certain that a little more chipset cooling is all I need. So P3 1000EB runs fine in slot 1.

for the record, this board has run Katami Core(Slot 1) P3 500, Coppermine cores P3 700, P3 933, P3 1000, Celeron 2 600 and Celeron 2 900.

The [H]orde needs You!

Its actually a matter of voltage support and BIOS support. The Pentium III really shouldn't have been called Pentium III, as all they did was add SSE and change the casing slightly.

It didn't get enough of a redesign to earn the PIII name until Coppermine came out. Even then, barely deserving a new name.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Its actually a matter of voltage support and BIOS support. The Pentium III really shouldn't have been called Pentium III, as all they did was add SSE and change the casing slightly.

It didn't get enough of a redesign to earn the PIII name until Coppermine came out. Even then, barely deserving a new name.
True, but FSB support could be an issue too, if the mobo is, say an i440LX chipset or something old like that (and since it has a P2-233 on it that could really be the case).

If it's 440BX or later though, there's possibilities. I made a little Sony VAIO minitower into an HTPC by putting one of PowerLeap's SlotWonder adapters in it with a Tualatin-core Celeron 1.3GHz...it runs quite nicely. For HTPC use though, you'll need a speedy processor (as P3's go) or you'll need a PVR board that does MPEG-2 encoding AND decoding in hardware, like a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350. I have a PVR-150 in my system and a Sigma Designs X-Card for MPEG-1/2/4/ hardware decoding. The biggest limitations are probably the FSB and on an early P2-class board you may end up using a lot of cards on the PCI bus, creating a lot of contention for throughput (I find that transferring files across a 100bTX network is slow with that machine regardless of NIC, and I believe that to be the reason). Often it's cheaper to just buy a new Socket 370 or Socket A board and use a Coppermine/Tualatin P-3, or an AMD Duron to get the job done.

I might just have to get an athlon xp 2000 (£20) and a SocketA mobo for another £20 then. Thanks for the answers guys, anyone have any ideas how I could go about getting a cheap case that woulld slot into my living room? I'm thinking of getting a bog standard case and modding it a bit.

Ok I have managed to dig out the motherboard's manual that was hidden away in a dark place and it does indeed have a 440LX chipset and the maximum supported processor speed is 333MHz. Looks like this adventure's over then :(. Thanks for the answers anyways everyone.

Back