Can a Toledo core "San Diego" be unlocked to dual core?

npurdin

Weaksauce
I've been reading up on a64 CPU's and I saw that AMD is offering a San Diego core 3700+ and a Toledo core 3700+ both as single-core CPU's. As I understand it Toledo cores are dual-core, so does that mean that the second core is just lying dormant on that chip? If so, can it be re-enabled? (ala L1 bridges on AXP)

I'm likely getting this chip, mostly because I've seen the toledo and San Diego pretty much overclocking the same, but the Toledo has E6 stepping. Is there something I should try to get this bugger to unlock or is it hopeless?

NO. Not to be rude, but search is your friend ;)

The 2nd core is LASER locked from the fab - no free dual core for you (although, it is physically there)

My apologies, for some reason I forgot who my friends are :)
Thanks though...
btw: is the "San Diego" Toledo a better CPU for OC'ing than the normal San Diego?
There are a lot of differences I know, but this one has E6 stepping.. better performance per clock cycle? (I'm guessing)

npurdin said:
My apologies, for some reason I forgot who my friends are :)
Thanks though...
btw: is the "San Diego" Toledo a better CPU for OC'ing than the normal San Diego?
There are a lot of differences I know, but this one has E6 stepping.. better performance per clock cycle? (I'm guessing)

My E6 Opteron OCd much better than my E3 Venice did - if that helps
Also - sorry I was a jerk, I was studying for the LSAT and that makes me bitter :p

But I found that I didn't need all that extra heat my 2.6 Opteron wa pushing - so I turned down the voltage and did a small OC (see sig)

Back