Can an Audigy card cause a rise in temp on my 8800GTS?

blacklotus

n00b
Guys,

I have an Audigy 2 card sitting right next to my 8800GTS with very little gap in between and i'm not sure if this can contribute to the high temp on the 8800GTS. I don't really mind removing the sound card if its gonna bring down the temp by 5C at least.

IMG_0056.jpg

It can, yes. By how much? That kinda depends. Sound cards do put off heat but being up against the video card can also restrict airflow. Try running your rig without the sound card to see what the difference is.

I had my X-Fi set up like that for awhile recently, and my 8800GTS was running hot. Once I moved it down a slot (or remove, in your case), the temperatures dropped a good 12-15c under load. Try removing it and see if it helps in your case... if so, leave it out :). Otherwise, pop it back in.

ooops, i forgot to mention the temps.

Temp (Everest Ultimate & Rivatuner) :

GPU diode - 60-61C (fan spinning @ 70%)

Temp while playing Company of Heroes:

63C max

I just worry about the VGA temp 'cause the rest of the temps are pretty good.

HD - 32C (surfing net)
CPU - 34C

I had my X-Fi set up like that for awhile recently, and my 8800GTS was running hot. Once I moved it down a slot (or remove, in your case), the temperatures dropped a good 12-15c under load. Try removing it and see if it helps in your case... if so, leave it out :). Otherwise, pop it back in.

Wow, that's quite a drop in temps. I'm not as lucky as you since my board didn't come with an extra slot. I guess the only way to find out is to remove the card and test it out.

that's right!
I removed recently my soundblaster on my fi-90hd 'cause the temp of my 7950gt rise up to 51° on idle insteed of 45°...

The cooler design on most 8800GTS cards has some of the exhaust air shooting right towards the lower slots. So with a sound card right there in the next slot, you'll not only start recirculating hot air into the 8800 intake fan, but you'll also start cooking your sound card.

(Touch the back metal plate on your soundcard after a gaming session and see how hot it is..I'll bet its blazing hot!)

just do what a bunch of people have done and tape up the the vents that shoot out the heat...

all the heat goes out of the computer, lowers my gpu temp by 6*

sweet deal.

Back