Can anybody OK this new build? advice

DeViLdUdE

Gawd
Its for my dad and will be ordering it tom.. His PC failed and will probably get it fixed sometime...
Here are the parts:
AMD X2 4200+
CORSAIR XMS 2GB
ABIT AN8 32X ATX AMD
eVGA GeForce 7800GTX
and Antec 350w PSU I got from Frys but I think it will be good for now.. probably will return it if you guys say so..

Not sure with the Mobo if it will be fine.. I could go with the ASUS ones like the A8N-SLI Dlx or Premium or the A8N32 SLI one..
I might consider DFI but some got probs with it... Do you guys think I should buy the Mobo in Frys instead?

The video card.. I have no choice but to buy that one since there are no available 7900s in newegg.. I might check Frys tom

ok, what is your dad going to do with this pc?

What is your dad planning on using this PC for?

The one adjustment I would definitely make is:
I would take the 4200+ down to the 3800+. The cache sizes are the same in both chips. If you want, you can overclock to make up for the lost 200 mHz and can almost always be done on stock voltage with the 3800+. If not, 200 mHz shouldn't make much of a difference anyway.

As for your video card, I'd really try and wait to get a 7900gt if you can. You'd be saving $100 by getting the 7900gt, and it's pretty much as good as a 7800gtx. More should be in soon, the demand is very high.

Edit: Just noticed the PSU. I would definitely get something with a little more power behind it. If you don't plan on going SLI, my Fortron 500w PSU has held up great, has great reviews on newegg, and is recommended by many people I know. It won't break your bank either, it runs about $90 I believe.

Mostly for web sufing and some work stuff .. no extensive work.. but I'll probably install games on it too. And I am having this mind set of getting it ready for future stuff thats why its like that. I'm gonna consider the 3800+ ..so 4200 is not really that much from the 3800? And if the mother board that I have listed up there not available in frys, I'll probably go wit ASUS DLX or PRIM
does 7900GT have a big big difference from 7800GTX?? Price point yes (I would prefer it too) but must have the PC up on wed or thurs(can't let him on my PC you know...)

Thanks for the quick replies!

your dad is [H] ;)... i mean, relatively speaking. sounds like a good setup to me; you seem to know what you want, and since you're particularly interested in buying from Fry's, i think it's a go. 'bout the only thing i'd change is that PSU; it's lookin' a little wimpy for that GTX, but who knows? someone always jumps on and says they're running dual 7800GTXs on a 250w :)p), so maybe give it a swirl before you bother buying another.

Thanks a lot man! I got the Mobo at Frys today ...its the Abit and hell what is up with all the refurb galore in there?(got a new one tho)...Got the memory too but instead of c2 I got the normal 3338 one.
Will be ordering the rest tom and praying that 12midnight theyll have 7900GT in stock.. damn my dad gets better PC than me.... oh well I love my old one...

And can you recommend me of a motherboard or mini pc mobo(shuttle ones) that would go with:
Intel(478) P4 1.6 and a Radeon 9700

can't find the Abit Max3 no more that's why I'm a bit lost
Any help are greatly appreciated...and I'll start doin the Foldin once I get this P4 running

I'd suggest you take a look at mwave.com ... I just ordered my new system from there over the weekend and they stocked eVGA 7900s on Tuesday, and immediately shipped them out.

Good luck.

From the uses you described, it really sounds to me like you're trying to kill a fly with a sledgehammer. It might shed a little light on the situation if you could list the specs of the rig he was using before.

I think that unless your dad is planning to use some serious processing power (ASIC simulation comes to mind) or play some fairly intense games...you can skimp a little bit on a few of the parts. But, if you're not strapped for cash or anything, by all means, go for it.

My reasoning is that in order to be ready for the future, just make sure the core parts are available. That is, I'd just buy a mobo that best fit the features you want to upgrade for in the future. Then, I'd probably get a nice PSU (I really think you should buy a more robust PSU than the 350W Antec if you're going to get a 7800GTX or similar card).

And yeah, get the 7900GT over the 7800GTX. If you have a spare card lying around, just use that until the GT's come back into stock. You won't regret it.

Well Thanks again for all the recommendations
The two things I changed are the CPU and Card
went with the 3800+ and a 7600GT since the 7900GT didn't come available today and needed tomorrow. Saved a few bucks and bought an Antec 550 Truepower like you guys said so yeh.. That's how it turned out hehe.. it's an eVGA by the way so I'm intrigued with the step-up thing... :D
I'll probably built myself pretty much same rig but a bit more power.. using an ASUS A8N32 Premium...
I'll check the mwave one for an intel mobo.
And the most extensive game he plays is Freecell.

Back