Can anyone recommend and external hdd that won't sleep?

whisper

Limp Gawd
Hello, I picked up a WD My Book Essential external hdd yesterday (1 TB) and intended to use it as a networked drive (in conjunction with pogoplug pro). However, the drive seems to spin down and go into sleep mode automatically, every 15 min. or so. Apparently this is normal for this drive...

So, I need a drive that will remain on 24/7 and never sleep:p Any recommendations?

I haven't tried any of the WD tools that came with the drive but from poking around on their forums I'm not sure there's anything that can be done. Since I don't connect the drive directly via USB I'm not sure any of those tools would be useful anyway.

Thanks

Get an external eSATA enclosure and a hard drive of your choosing. I have a Rosewil RX358 that does not go to sleep and works very well.

Thanks all, I returned the WD My Book drive since there is no way to disable the sleep timer. It's not controlled through Windows power settings, it's an innate feature of the drive itself.

So, I picked up a Seagate Barracuda SATA 1TB internal drive and Antec enclosure. This was a great idea since I've had this drive up and running for over 6 hours and it never "sleeps". I guess it never will as long as I leave the power switch on:)

This Pogoplug thing I'm using is another issue. Even with the new drive, it lost connection at one point and could not "see" the drive without restarting the unit. Again, totally separate issue which apparently a lot of users have experienced. I may be returning it but I'm keeping the new external drive/enclosure for sure.

Back