can anyone sugest a quiet Cisco switch?

Hey everyone, decided its time to upgrade some of my networking gear an knowledge.
So I need to find a switch with the catch its going to hide behind a cabinet in my main living room and I don't want the other half moaning (more than usual!). Cisco is preferred as I need to go over it again and it pushes me when I get to VLANS ;)

I don't think its possible but going to ask anyway. Ideally it should be gigabit and 8 ports or more. POE could be good too but not essential.

So any suggestions? or is this the impossible?

Are you willing to pay $700+ for a switch?

I'd look at a Procurve 1810-24G or a 1910-24G. If you only need 8 ports, get a 1810-8G or 1910-8G.

If all you are doing is basic VLANs, these will work great and they are fanless.

5505 could work depending on how many VLANs. I thought some had a limitation to 3? At the least it does come with some PoE ports. Not quite sure what it supports though per PoE standards.

Pseudo-cisco would be the SG200 or SG300 series.

I would agree with the above poster that the HP 1810 or Dell 28XX would be better choices.

Understand the request was for a Cisco switch, but +1 for this. The HP 1810/1910 are a wonderful choice for SOHO managed switches. Rock solid, silent and flexible.

Are you willing to pay $700+ for a switch?

I'd look at a Procurve 1810-24G or a 1910-24G. If you only need 8 ports, get a 1810-8G or 1910-8G.

If all you are doing is basic VLANs, these will work great and they are fanless.

Thanks for the input, I will give it some thought. The main aim was to learn some IOS (refresh, not touched it in years) but at the price not sure how feasible that's going to be.

Thanks for the input though!

You could probably find some cheap 3500XL 24 Ports on ebay for dirt cheap. I have one sitting at my desk at work, I took the fans out and it's never got hot at all. The downside is it's 100mb, but it's a good way to get into cisco

dont have the exact model #s but there used to be some fanless 8-12 port 3560 with PoE, even had a SFP slot. dont know your budget but they would not be anywhere near considered "cheap"

2960G, no POE but it does gig and is quiet.

Somehow I missed post #2 ... anyway I second the recommendation. The rack mount ears for this switch are over engineered masterpieces.

Last edited:
don't forget to check EOS, EOL of the new switch

OP is buying the switch for home use, probably off eBay or the like. Going to go out on a limb and guess he's not going to be buying a SMARTnet agreement with that switch.

There is a small form factor 8-port switch in both the 2960 and 3560 series. The 2960 gives you gigabit, but the 3560 can give you PoE. I am unaware of a small fanless Cisco switch that combines both.

Thanks for the input, lets remove the small requirement. whats the recommendation?

Any mainstream Cisco switch is going to be for a datacenter or IDF, and therefore be quite loud because of the fans. But I'd say a holy grail for a "basement" rack in a house is a Cisco 3560G, the WS-C3560G-24PS-S or the equivalent 3570 model.

Back