Can anyone tell me about Centrinos please ?

Nom Anor

Limp Gawd
Why are Centrino based notebooks are so expensive ?
What kind of technology is this ? What are the advantages ?

I was going to buy a P4 3.0 Gz notebook, but noticed that a Centrino 1.6Gz was much more expensive. Whats the deal ? Should I get a P4 3.0 Gz notebook ?

Yes, the Pentium M chips (one part that makes a notebook a centrino notebook) has better power management. They will generally last longer then Pentium 4 M chips. They also are more efficiant per clock then Pentium 4s, so you can't compare the MHz to gauge the performance difference. There isn't an exact formula to equalize the clock speeds, but the general thought is to multiply the Pentium Ms clock speed by 1.5, and you will a value that is somewhat comparable to a Pentium 4 M.

not to thread crap but danielj315 the maximum lines allowed for a signature is 10 lines

the Penitum M chips used in the centrino systems are basically P3's on steroids.... And if you remember back to the P3/P4 days (socket 423) the P3 simply has a much better work:clock ratio.

potroast said:
the Penitum M chips used in the centrino systems are basically P3's on steroids.... And if you remember back to the P3/P4 days (socket 423) the P3 simply has a much better work:clock ratio.

Man you hit it right on the dot my friend, i was going to say that too

The Pentium M is designed for efficiency from the start. It is much more than a PIII on steriods, it is the only processor available that can stand toe to toe with the Athlon 64/FX/Opteron's clock for clock while using less power.

Back