Can I do better for $100?

l0cke

Gawd
Right now the 6800gs (pci-e x16 of course) is the main bottleneck in my system. I have two $50 cards to newegg.com and was wondering if I could do any better for $100. My motherboard is SLI, so two cards that could outperform mine for under $100 would work too.

You wont get much faster for 100 bucks. Keep saving. Also a new generation is due to be added soon which will affect the prices of the older ones. Might wanna wait on that too.

Right now the 6800gs (pci-e x16 of course) is the main bottleneck in my system. I have two $50 cards to newegg.com and was wondering if I could do any better for $100. My motherboard is SLI, so two cards that could outperform mine for under $100 would work too.

Honestly - and no offense meant, here - if you can afford it, you'd be a fool not to wait for the 8800GT to hit its MSRP and pick up one of those. Yes, $200 is much higher than your target price, but nVidia completely changed the game with the launch of this card today.

It is way, WAY faster than anything that has been in the $200 price point before. Indeed, in many tests it is outperforming $400-$500 cards that were cutting-edge just this past spring. I've been buying video cards for a very long time - since the 3dfx days - and I would have to guess this is the biggest jump in performance for a price point since the Radeon 9700 Pro launch.

This is a very big deal. And a great time to be a PC gamer! Unfortunately, this new generation only has this single price point - MSRP of ~$200. There are no $100 models available or planned, yet, so...

Honestly - and no offense meant, here - if you can afford it, you'd be a fool not to wait for the 8800GT to hit its MSRP and pick up one of those. Yes, $200 is much higher than your target price, but nVidia completely changed the game with the launch of this card today.

It is way, WAY faster than anything that has been in the $200 price point before. Indeed, in many tests it is outperforming $400-$500 cards that were cutting-edge just this past spring. I've been buying video cards for a very long time - since the 3dfx days - and I would have to guess this is the biggest jump in performance for a price point since the Radeon 9700 Pro launch.

This is a very big deal. And a great time to be a PC gamer! Unfortunately, this new generation only has this single price point - MSRP of ~$200. There are no $100 models available or planned, yet, so...

Can't emphasize enough how accurate this post is.

Okay, but by the time I save up $200 there might be something faster out :p

So yeah, I guess I will just have to save or buy some other parts I've been meaning to.

Of course there will be something faster out, but not a better value.

Video cards are kind of a funny thing though. For the top end they push the hardware all out. For the midrange and lower they seem to tune the cards to be just a few % faster than the previous gen while adding support for some new features.
Example: 6600gt>7600gt>8600gt.
The difference there is not like the difference with 6800ultra>7900gtx>8800gtx

It usually ends up being better to buy upper mid cards of the previous gen if you are going for budget cards since they will be faster and cost about the same as low end or midrange from the current gen. Especially if you buy em used from the people who upgrade everytime a new model farts out.

Hmmm... I wonder what the 256mb version with go for when they make it to the market and prices level out. Probably not far from $100.

Hmmm... I wonder what the 256mb version with go for when they make it to the market and prices level out. Probably not far from $100.

$150ish I think, though probably $170-200 when it first comes out do to low supply probably a nice demand... depends on how long it takes to hit the street.

You will probably be able to find one for $100ish in a few months After Rebate, but don't expect to see it any time soon.

Best bet would be to find a 7900gs or something like that, or see if someone forgets to set a minimum bid on a 8800 card on ebay ;)

Back