Can I hook up 2 PCI-E video cards to separate Monitors

WallisHall

n00b
I have a new 8800 GT and an old 7800 GT
I would like to hook the 2 video cards up to 2 monitors, assuming that I will get better video response from the 8800 GT since it will only be driving a single display.

Is this true, and would it work on an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Yes, just because you put two video cards in doesn't mean they have to run in SLI/Crossfire. Unless you do enable it they will run as seperate cads and you can hook up as many monitors as there are ports on the back of them.

If you put them in SLI/Crossfire, i think you can only use the ports on one of the cards.
That doesn't matter though as you can't use it with your two different cards anyway.

Would this speed up video for the 8800GT since it only has to process a single video source instead of two?

Not really, unless you're trying to run 3D apps on the other monitor at the same time, game or otherwise. The amount of power required for 2D work is really minute in comparison.

I dont want to hijack this thread, but, I just got an 8800gt and would it be plausible to throw my 7800gt into the other PCIe slot to increase video performance when dual-boxing WoW?

I've been running two installs of wow on the same machine running off the same 7800gt and i have to turn alot of stuff down for it to be exceptable.

Yes, just because you put two video cards in doesn't mean they have to run in SLI/Crossfire. Unless you do enable it they will run as seperate cads and you can hook up as many monitors as there are ports on the back of them.

If you put them in SLI/Crossfire, i think you can only use the ports on one of the cards.
That doesn't matter though as you can't use it with your two different cards anyway.

Do if you run dual monitors, you can now have SLI and dual display simultaneously? I think I remember reading that when SLI first came out, one monitor would go black, and you would need to enable/disable SLI constantly for a dual-screen setup.

Do if you run dual monitors, you can now have SLI and dual display simultaneously? I think I remember reading that when SLI first came out, one monitor would go black, and you would need to enable/disable SLI constantly for a dual-screen setup.

Yup, seems hard to believe, but that is the case today. SLI means 1 monitor.

If you want multi monitor support with multi GPU you have to go ATI (3800s). They are the 1st to support this. Pretty cool. And yes I am excited about this.

Back