Can I make my memory run faster?

TalonMan

[H]ard|Gawd
I wonder if slow memory, could be the direct cause of my 390FSB stability issue?

I was updating my Vista's Performance Information Tool, and my memory looks to be my bottleneck? I am only running on (1) 2GB stick, so can single channel operation hurt my speed too?

Vista's Performance Information Tool:
Processor - 5.9
Memory - 5.7
Graphics - 5.9
Gaming graphics - 5.9
Primary hard disk - 5.9

Is 5.7 normal?

I have never played with benchmarking my memory, but decided to give Everest a go.

Everest Memory benchmark:
Memory Read - 5985 MB/s
Memory Write - 6039 MB/s
Memory Copy - 5045 MB/s
Memory Latency - 72.1ns

These are the exact setting the BIOS displayed about my ram. I just put them in with no modifications:

CAS# Latency : 5
RAS# to CAS# Delay : 5
RAS# Precharge : 5
RAS# ActivateTime : 18
RAS# to RAS# Delay : 3
Row Refresh Cycle Time : 35
Write Recovery Time : 5
Read to Precharge Time : 3

Read to Write Delay (S/D) : 8
Write to Read Delay (S) : 3
Write to Read Delay (D) : 5
Read to Read Delay (S) : 4
Read to Read Delay (D) : 6
Write to Write Delay (S) : 4
Write to Write Delay (D) : 6

Can I lower the 18 to get better performance out of my ram? :confused:

If I could raise my RAM's speed, I might be inclined to re-visit my FSB issue...
I do have an active Corsair CMXAF1 ram cooler installed too! ;)

When I baught my 2 ram sticks, I was looking for a 4GB kit, so that later on I could buy a second to run 8GB with Vista Ultimate. One stick was DOA I think...

Now my second stick appears to be a dog?

This is what I baught: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145176

Can you list ALL the settings you have made in bios for voltages, CPU, and memory.

For sure, you can lower it to 4-4-4-12 with no problem, but I don't think it will increase any performance to your rig, or the gain will be minimal but putting in dual channel it could have a better performance increase.
BTW, I also wouldn't bother with Vista score.

Can you list ALL the settings you have made in bios for voltages, CPU, and memory.

Sure...

I flashed to BIOS 1004, GX2 still installed, and I am back at a 3.465GHz limit. Any more FSB than 387-388'ish will result in core dumps, Vista lockups, and sometimes not posting. I threw more volts at about everything I could... Took all the posted settings, and combos I could, Enabled, Disabled, and Autoed settings for 2 days...

Made no differeance...

I also backed down the voltages to show how easy I can run with a FSB Frequency of 385...

Only about 45 minutes, but my stability is there. I have had no problems so far, and don't expect to... (Still on the good side of my 390 FSB limit)
For trivia, a [email protected] and a stock GX2 SSC = 17,775 3DMark06 points at default settings. (Only for the 3DMark fans.. don't yell at me!) ;)

Here is my current 1004 Bios settings for 3.465GHz, (With a GX2 installed!):

Under Extreme Tweaker
Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual
OC From CPU Level Up : Auto
CPU Ratio Setting : 9
FSB Frequency : 385
FSB Strap to North Bridge : 400
PCI-E Frequency: 110
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-770MHz
DRAM Command Rate : 2T
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
CAS# Latency : 5
RAS# to CAS# Delay : 5
RAS# Precharge : 5
RAS# ActivateTime : 18
RAS# to RAS# Delay : 3
Row Refresh Cycle Time : 35
Write Recovery Time : 5
Read to Precharge Time : 3

Read to Write Delay (S/D) : 8
Write to Read Delay (S) : 3
Write to Read Delay (D) : 5
Read to Read Delay (S) : 4
Read to Read Delay (D) : 6
Write to Write Delay (S) : 4
Write to Write Delay (D) : 6
DRAM Static Read Control: Enabled
Ai Clock Twister : Strong
Transaction Booster : Enabled
Boost Level: 0

CPU Voltage : 1.40625v (BIOS)
CPU PLL Voltage : 1.54v (BIOS)
North Bridge Voltage : 1.43v (BIOS)
DRAM Voltage : 1.80v (BIOS)
FSB Termination Voltage : 1.40v (BIOS)
South Bridge Voltage : 1.050v (BIOS)
Loadline Calibration : Enabled
CPU GTL Reference : 0.63x
North Bridge GTL Reference : 0.67x
DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : DDR2_REF
DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : DDR2_REF
DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : DDR2_REF
SB 1.5V Voltage : 1.50v (BIOS)

NB LED Selection : NB Volt
SB LED Selection : SB Volt
CPU LED Selection : CPU Volt
Voltiminder LED : Enabled

CPU Spread Spectrum : Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled

Under Advanced
And CPU Configuration:
CPU Ratio Setting : 9
C1E Suppport : Disabled
CPU TM Function : Enabled
Vanderpool Technology : Disabled
Execute Disable Bit : Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit : Disabled

Under Advanced
And USB Configuration :
USB Functions: Enabled
USB 2.0 Controller : Enabled
USB 2.0 Controller Mode: HiSpeed
BIOS EHCI Hand-off : Enabled
Port 64/60 Emulation : Disabled
Legacy USB Support : Enabled

Just for the record, using my low volt settings exactly as listed above, can run my FSB at 385 like it's a walk in the park...

She did Prime a full 7 hours error free! That is more respectable and also reinforces my case that some other thing is involved for my issues with a 390 FSB... Mabey my slow RAM??

I shouldn't have to juce it that much more, or use Black Magic to eak out 390, moving from a very stable 385FSB?

For sure, you can lower it to 4-4-4-12 with no problem, but I don't think it will increase any performance to your rig, or the gain will be minimal but putting in dual channel it could have a better performance increase.
BTW, I also wouldn't bother with Vista score.

I was wondering how much operating on dual channel mode might help my performance...

Mabey more than I think?

First, why are you running the memory in the slots for single channel? Second, what specific memory kit do you have? The 1.8v Vdimm looks too low for OCing. Your Vcore for the CPU may be low also, depending on your cooling and temps.

I was running my memory in the white slots, due to me hearing that the Maximus does better that way. I was thinking I was in single channel mode, due to me running only 1 stick, not two sticks...
I didn't realize it was due to the White slots, -vs- using the Blue slots for my RAM...

This is my exact kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145176

Note: BIOS set at 1.8v, but Everest reports my RAM is actually getting 1.92v, due to the Maximus overvolting all ram.

Temps are great... I can put more voltage on my CPU if need be.

I'm not sure what Vcore it is taking to get G0 6600s to 400FSB+ but yours sounds a bit low. If your MOBO is rumored to have Vcore issues, I would not rely on software monitoring. Get a meter to check it if you are concerned or continue to have issues.

I just am trying to get my memory faster right now... ;)

I just spent two days trying to get a 390 FSB working, with no luck. It was before the GX2 install.

I flashed from BIOS 907 to 1004, still cant get back to my stable 3.8GHz. I now think it may be related to my slow memory.

Unless I can make my memory run faster, I am done jucing my core above 5v and pll above 6 volts and NB above 5.7 volts....

It does no good.

My issue is either:

1) A combo of Maximus SE, and a Q6600, and GX2 = a lower FSB than 390.

or

2) Slow memory...

I want to fix my memory first, before taking another run at getting my 390 FSB to be stable.

I have tried so many combos already with voltages, that I am convinced there is something else involved.

I hope it's my slow RAM speed.

I need to know how to speed my RAM up.

Under BIOS 907 and my Q6600, this was a recap of my findings:

So far With the Maximus and my Q6600 GO:
My CPU Voltage setting of 1.46250v (BIOS), will allow error free Priming with a FSB Frequency 414 giving me 3.7GHz with my 400 NB Strap.
My CPU Voltage setting of 1.506v (BIOS), will allow error free Priming with a FSB Frequency 424 giving me 3.81GHz with my 400 NB Strap.
My CPU Voltage setting of 1.51875v (BIOS), will allow error free Priming with a FSB Frequency 428 giving me 3.85GHz with my 400 NB Strap.
My CPU Voltage setting of 1.51875v (BIOS) starting taking errors 4 minutes into prime with a FSB Frequency 432 giving me 3.8888GHz with my 400 NB Strap.

I did successfully prime 3.9GHz with a FSB Frequency 435 for 45 minutes, but stopped the test.
For my system it requires me to set in the BIOS a CPU core voltage of 1.55000v's, and Everest reads 1.53v.
You also must bump your CPU PLL to 1.60v's.
1.55 Core and only 1.56 PLL would not Prime 3.9GHz error free.

I can't overlook the facts that:

My 390 FSB limit started the second the GX2 was installed...
I had been running at 3.8GHz for months with no issues.
Both BIOS 907 and 1004 produce the exact same results for me.
I have tried so many BIOS adjustments, that it borders on obsessive-compulsive disorder!
No voltage settings wen't unchanged, or searously overvolted.
My system has just primed the above settings error free for 7 hours, with thoes low volts. No sign of system issues at all.
Me moving my FSB from 385 to 390 should not take a huge voltage increase to pull off. I have already given it as much as I dare. It didn't help.

I was hoping due to this info:

Vista's Performance Information Tool:
Processor - 5.9
Memory - 5.7
Graphics - 5.9
Gaming graphics - 5.9
Primary hard disk - 5.9

that mabey my memory was the issue...

Yea go dual channel and lower the timings as all have said so far.

Also the performance rating tool is really goofy sometimes. I try to ignore it.

The only way I can see a video card limiting your OC is "IF" you did not have enough PSU to do the job and I don't think that is the case here.

Are you running your memory at a 1:1 ratio with the CPU or are you using a divider? CPU-Z shot above is showing 1:1 but just checking to make sure.

Your memory speed is tied to your FSB speed which is why I asked about your OC and your Vcore.

opps .. Got-cha Mike. I do appreachiate your help. :)

I am indeed running at a 1:1 ratio.

I just got home from work.. and swapped my 1 good stick over to the blue slot.

CPUZ still reports "Channels Single", I guess it's because I only have one stick after all? I was expecting dual channel.. Not sure on that.

Good news though, it is a tad faster than the white slot according to Everest's memory benchmarks.

Vista's Performance Information Tool: (Blue Slot) Channels Single

Memory Read - 5994 MB/s (+9 better than White slot)
Memory Write - 6031 MB/s (-8 slower than White slot)
Memory Copy - 5208 MB/s (+163 better than White slot)
Memory Latency - 63.1ns (+9 lower/better than White slot)

I did try my bad stick one more time in both the Blue, and White slots. I also upped the NB voltage up to 1.6v in the BIOS just to make sure I was juceing that enouigh to run 4GB. The LCD poster will not get past the DRAM init, no matter what slot it's plugged into, just as it did the first time I ever tried to use it.

Mabey it's not too late to RMA, but I am afraid they will want both sticks back, and I don't have any spare now.

I think I am ready for some memory timing changes..

I just tried 4-4-4-12, would not post. (LCD Poster hangs on RAM init)

Then tried 4-4-4-17, would not post. (LCD Poster hangs on RAM init)

I think I remember now that some Maximus boys were thinking that as far as OC'ing your memory, they were having better luck with the White slots.

I still would like to see if I could get my Blue slot ot OC some..

It does appear to a lower Latency, and Copy speed.

Update:

Took NB to 1.49 in BIOS
Bumped DRAM voltage to 1.82 in BIOS

Tried 5-5-5-15 would give me the meter acting like Vista was going to start, but no desktop. Just a black screen.

Tried 5-5-5-16 Booted to desktop.

Memory Read - 5985 MB/s
Memory Write - 6030 MB/s
Memory Copy - 5045 MB/s
Memory Latency - 63.9.1ns

Ouch..

I went back to 5-5-5-15.

It looks like if I want to OC this ram, it's going to have to be the white slot probably.

I am thinking now, keep the blue slot, and next time buy faster ram. ;)

Back