Can I remove IE

Crosshairs

Administrator
Staff member
I dont use IE, and I never plan on using it again...Can I remove it? and if so, how??

You do use it. it forms part of your windows explorer system. best thing you can do is make sure its up to date and hide the icons on your desktop.

Also there are some crappy sites that refuse to work unless under IE, so hold onto it.

AchTuNG! said:
You do use it. it forms part of your windows explorer system. best thing you can do is make sure its up to date and hide the icons on your desktop.

Also there are some crappy sites that refuse to work unless under IE, so hold onto it.

Ah, I didnt know about the windows explorer...:( And yeah, Its up to date...Just did it again today,cause I was bored :) then I said to myself, I should just dump it....cause I never use it...

Thanks..

Crosshairs said:
Ah, I didnt know about the windows explorer...:( And yeah, Its up to date...Just did it again today,cause I was bored :) then I said to myself, I should just dump it....cause I never use it...

Thanks..

you also need it for windoze updates

Actually, you dont need it. Anything that you get from Windows Update can be downloaded from MS download section individually, or other places that may host..say hotfixes or anything like that. As far as other websites not working right with other browsers,well, maybe im lucky but ive had no problems with FF yet.

**EDIT:

AchTuNG! said:
it forms part of your windows explorer system

You can remove IE and yet explorer will still function, your not removing the "core".

IE is kind of integrated into the OS (although it can be removed). I would advise leaving it, but setting FF (or whatever browser you are using in it's place) as the default.

You will have a lot of problems, if you do any development work, as creating XMLHTTP objects use IE components...

keep IE because some web sites only work on that browser. my job website only works on IE.

Unless you want to rework your windows install, and completely eliminate all traces of the horror known as mshtml.dll, then you're out of luck. You'll need a priest, not an FAQ.

hity645 said:
Without IE how would you do Windows Updates?
Its quite simple....

Ruskin said:
IE is kind of integrated into the OS (although it can be removed). I would advise leaving it, but setting FF (or whatever browser you are using in it's place) as the default.

You will have a lot of problems, if you do any development work, as creating XMLHTTP objects use IE components...

I have FF as default, and you cant even find IE on my computer unless you look for it.
Thanks everyone for the answers, I guess Ill just leave it in hiding :)

Just keep it and never use it,delete the icons. That way if you do ever for some reason want it,it's their.Kind of like those programs you never use,only for that one time when it's need. I never really gotten into using other browsers,well because Ie is their.

Crosshairs said:
Its quite simple....

How so? You can't access Windows Update via another browser, WU tells you to use IE pretty much. And its a part of the actual Windows Install...so how would it be able to update without IE? And don't say Automatic Updates, cause I can sit here at home for weeks and not download a single update, but I click WU off my start menu and viola updates for the past week.

hity645 said:
How so? You can't access Windows Update via another browser, WU tells you to use IE pretty much. And its a part of the actual Windows Install...so how would it be able to update without IE? And don't say Automatic Updates, cause I can sit here at home for weeks and not download a single update, but I click WU off my start menu and viola updates for the past week.

Windows Update is not the only place you can get the patches...... THIS PLACE for example...you can download with any browser.....

Also, I have my system at work set to auto update, It will download and install them if you have it set up right....maybe your system has a bug, not sure.
I dont use IE on any system, so I know that auto update works....because all my patches are current

anyway, Thanks to sieb...I have used nlite to make a CD and I left IE out...

Exactly, I havent used IE on my machine in over a year. My wifes machine has it for her school work though. Nlite is such a great program isnt it? Heres another place to grab update packs and such...

RyanVM

Ryans been a big help over at MSFN.

Back