Can I safely change the positions of my hard drives?

iamfett

Weaksauce
I would like to add an Accelero S1 to my video card and cool it with my my intake fans.
But right now my 2 hard drives are in front of my intake fans in a horizontal position. (see pic.)
I have the option of moving the hard drives up, and into a horizontal position, but I'm concerned that this will cause a hard drive error somewhere down the line. These hard drives are new, have been in this orientation for about 6 months.
Will I have a problem after I change the orientation.

10122008115445bm4.jpg

As long as you run the drive vertically or horizontally, you should be fine (no weird angles).

honestly id remove that lower drive cage altogether and mount your drives in the 3.5 bay above.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no orientation restrictions on modern hard drives. You can safely move them up to the 3.5" rack, but I would leave a space between them to allow them to run a bit cooler.

That is a really nice clean setup you currently have. :cool:

Don

honestly id remove that lower drive cage altogether and mount your drives in the 3.5 bay above.

Yep, that's exactly what I wanted to do. I just wanted to be sure that changing the position of the hard drives to horizontal from vertical after having ran them that way for a while, wouldn't cause a problem with the hard drives somewhere down the road.

I know at one time , they recommended that once a drive was mounted in a particular orientation you shouldn't change it. Just wasn't sure if that still stood true or not.

I appreciate the input - thanks all.

Back