Can i use a 480gtx EK waterlock on a 580gtx?

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi. my replacement 580gtx is coming that will replace my dead 480gtx and previously i had my 480gtx under water as it was noisy and loud.

Can i use the same water block or do i need to buy a new one?

Does the 580gtx run cooler and faster then a 480gtx?

Thanks

I doubt it. There's a big capacitor on the 580 that wasn't there on the 480 I believe.

I have an XSPC Razor 580 block if you're interested.

Yes, the 580 runs faster and cooler than the 480. It's pretty much the equivalent of Intel's move from C0 to D0 on their 1366 quad-core processors, or AMD's Bulldozer to Piledriver move, except there was more of a difference.

The 480 had 1 unit disabled, leaving it with 480 CUDA cores. The 580 has all units enabled, with the full 512 core complement. The 480 had a stock speed of 700 mhz, while the 580 has a stock speed of 772 mhz. All while using less power.

The GTX 580 overclocks like a dream too! Have mine @ 975mhz on the stock heatsink! ;)

Runs at like 80C when being pushed...not too bad...however, I'm still trying to figure out a way to stuff a second Kuhler 620 in my SilverStone SG08! :D

The GTX 580 overclocks like a dream too! Have mine @ 975mhz on the stock heatsink! ;)

Runs at like 80C when being pushed...not too bad...however, I'm still trying to figure out a way to stuff a second Kuhler 620 in my SilverStone SG08! :D

*cough cough*HORSESHIT*cough*

No not horseshit.

The Gigabyte WindForce 3X does a fantastic job of keeping things cool...quiet is another matter...but cool yes.

Aquacomputer and Heatkiller are the preferred brands. Swiftech/EVGA is also good.

No not horseshit.

The Gigabyte WindForce 3X does a fantastic job of keeping things cool...quiet is another matter...but cool yes.

Bah, I thought you meant the reference heatsink. Because yeah, no, not happening.

Back