Can I use my Thermaltake True 120 on a Sandy Bridge CPU?

jmk396

Gawd
I've been using a Thermaltake TRUE Black 120 heatsink on my E8400 CPU and it's one very amazing heatsink but I'm looking to upgrade to a Sandy Bridge CPU.

Can I still use this heatsink?

On the Thermaltake site, they sell an "LGA 1156" bolt-through kit but Sandy Bridge is LGA 1155 and I'm not sure this bolt-through kit is compatible with the TRUE...

I've been using a Thermaltake TRUE Black 120 heatsink on my E8400 CPU and it's one very amazing heatsink but I'm looking to upgrade to a Sandy Bridge CPU.

Can I still use this heatsink?

On the Thermaltake site, they sell an "LGA 1156" bolt-through kit but Sandy Bridge is LGA 1155 and I'm not sure this bolt-through kit is compatible with the TRUE...

Yes. LGA 1155 uses the same HSF mount as LGA 1156.

By the way, you got the brand name wrong. The TRUE is made by Thermalright, not Thermaltake. And the TRUE is part of Thermalright's Ultra series ("TRUE" stands for ThermalRight Ultra Extreme).

Last edited:
Yes you can. I have that cooler and a P67 Sandy Bridge board. It works fine...

The mouting holes for socket 1155 is identical to 1156.So if you purchase a bolt-thru kit for 1156 then it will work on your Sandy. :D

One note. If you are going to be using Asus Maximus IV extreme for you Sandy Bridge you are out of luck since the suggested HSF mount will not fit.

Why won't an 1156 mount work on an Asus Maximus IV? As far as I've heard all 1156, 1155 are identical mounting wise.

Why won't an 1156 mount work on an Asus Maximus IV? As far as I've heard all 1156, 1155 are identical mounting wise.

The heatsinks on the motherboard interfere with the mounting system for the Venomous X and TRUE, at least when you want to mount it facing the back of your case. You can apparently just cut a little off the mounting bracket and it will just barely fit, not sure if that is recommended though.

Apparently Asus intruded into the area "reserved" for backplates. a little cutting filing. or dremel work bypasses protrusions.

Does anyone know of any vendor that actually has these brackets in stock? I've been trying to find one for about 3 weeks now with no luck.

The heatsinks on the motherboard interfere with the mounting system for the Venomous X and TRUE, at least when you want to mount it facing the back of your case. You can apparently just cut a little off the mounting bracket and it will just barely fit, not sure if that is recommended though.

i have the TRUE on my M4E and the bracket fit just perfectly for me. i had no problem getting the screw all the way in. i removed the cross bar just to make sure it wasnt damaging the mosfet heatsink and i didnt find anything :confused:

Back