Can iPad Burns DVD?

To be fair, this is a thread in the Apple subforum. I haven't seen him take to the Operating Systems threads with propaganda, but you do see certain people (*cough*) taking Microsoft propaganda here. Relentlessly, I might add.

This. I've posted maybe 10 times in the OS forum, and never to cheerlead--which, by the way, I am not doing in this forum either.

And this thread has careened far off course thanks to certain posts, so there's nothing of value left here, if there ever really was.

Agree, it's very off-topic at this point. Answer to the OP:

You can't attach a DVD drive to the iPad. Some android devices let you do it, but you have to figure out which ones, as it looks like it's unofficial support. Windows 8 tablets obviously will let you do it. But in this case, the cheapest alternative for you would be to lug that 5 pound "beast" of yours and sync the movies to your iPad as you run out of space. ;)

edited.

Note that you can wirelessly attach external storage devices to the iPad. I don't think this has been mentioned, but it's an option.

Note that you can wirelessly attach external storage devices to the iPad. I don't think this has been mentioned, but it's an option.

Didn't know that. Can the iPad stream from this too? As in it sees the files and just straight-up plays them? I can access my music wirelessly on my PC from my phone, but I think it needs to be on a sharing-enabled iTunes instance.

Edit - using an iPhone 4.

Last edited:
Didn't know that. Can the iPad stream from this too? As in it sees the files and just straight-up plays them? I can access my music wirelessly on my PC from my phone, but I think it needs to be on a sharing-enables iTunes instance.

Edit - using an iPhone 4.

Usually you need a special app to use the content from the streaming device. If your device is jailbroken, you can use a regular file manager (like iFile) to view content from the streaming device, as well as from USB-attached storage or SD cards.

Dear all,

Is it technically possible to connect a (USB) DVD burner to iPad?

Working on a packing list before going abroad for extended period, and realized that I would have to keep dumping data off the ipad.

I used to do this with a laptop, encrypt the files and mail home or relatives. But I really prefer not to lug around the 5 pound beast around this time. And pardon me for asking, is there a tablet out there can connect USB devices?

OP, depending on your needs I'm pretty sure it's possible to connect flash drives using the camera connection kit cable to your ipad, which you would have to jailbreak in order to get it all set up to read flash drives. If you can pony up for a cable and flash memory you could have this as an option.

Also, answering the last part of your question, there are tablets that can connect to usb devices; my transformer prime with the keyboard dock can.

There are several wireless hard drives you can get where you can stream video from the hard drive to your iPad (though most of them also work with Android devices).

I am not sure if you can transfer pictures off of the iPad to the drive or not. Information seems inconclusive. I am thinking of getting one of these just to play around with.

Back