Can MBP Power 2 Displays?

a ronin

Gawd
I have a 2407 on order and will likely order a MBP in the coming months, but I also have another 19" display I'd like to use. Could the MBP power them both simultaneously? I've heard about Matrox Triplehead2Go product, but I'm not sure if it's applicable to the MBP since it only has 1 output. Would Matrox or anyone else offer a better suited application for my needs?

the macbook and macbook pro will drive their internal displays and one external display

Matrox also has a DualHead2Go, which might be more what your looking for. However, the matrox splitters (dual and triple) only produce an output of 1280x1024 at most to each display (and all displays at the same resolution), and you would have to use a VGA connection. These will use the output for a single display, and then split the signal to the different monitors.

Your best bet would be if there was a graphics card for the ExpressCard, but it doesn't seem that there are any available yet.

Very rarely will you find graphics cards that powers 3 monitors simultaneously, so no.
That matrox thing you are wondering about assumes that all of your monitors run the same resolution (example: 1280x1024) so when you run it through this adapter, it tells the computer that it is 2560x1024 to follow up on the example. Therefore getting a 2407 would be senseless.

Sorta off topic but not really.

I want to buy a MacBook (not pro, can't afford it). However the 1200x800 or whatever resolution would be too small for me. I want to hook up a 20" widecreen DVI display to the MacBook.

Would I be able to use BOTH the laptop's own LCD and the external display at the same time? Right now my X31 can extend the desktop to the external display, but it's stuck at the same resolution of the laptop's LCD (10x7).

I want the MacBook to keep the 1200x800 to keep toolbars, notes (firefox or safari), MSN (or adium) and use the external display for my photoshop work. Now all of you may say "just get a mac mini, way cheaper same thing" but I want the portability of a MacBook. It stays at home hooked to a external display for work, but I can take it around.

Response to KevC:

Apple says it can power upto 23" display, so you can do as high as 1920x1200 PLUS your own display.

I guess I'll settle for just one display then for myself.

Back