Can my PC Power and Cooling S75CF 750 W PSU run a 7900xt or do I need to suck it up and buy a more modern PSU?

Dudhunter

Limp Gawd
Power calculators say my theoretical draw is under 600 watts and I’ve run a couple different ones.

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t have the new style connectors but it’s been rock solid and I’m not sure I can bring myself to say goodbye.

I bought this bad boy in ‘08 and it’s moved through a bunch of systems with me… currently powering a 7700k and Vega 64 system.

I’d probably just retire it if I could buy a new PC power and cooling PSU but they aren’t in business anymore. If I have to upgrade, is there any company anywhere close to as good as PCP&C anymore?

Thanks

IMO if you have the jack to buy a $600+ GPU why would you power it with a PSU from 2008…. It’s been a good run. Retire that thing before it dies and possibly takes something with it.

I’ve stuck with Seasonic and Corsair lately for PSUs and have had good luck with those.

Yea the PC power and cooling psu's were great for their time but are getting long in the tooth. My 950 watt crapped out shortly after installing a 6900XT fortunately it didn't take anything else into the hereafter when it went.

Thank you for the feedback. I’m gonna spend the cash and buy the FSp hydro ti pro that hititandquitit recommended unless anyone thinks there is another solution that I should be considering.

Thank you for the feedback. I’m gonna spend the cash and buy the FSp hydro ti pro that hititandquitit recommended unless anyone thinks there is another solution that I should be considering.

I saw that review a while back, I ended up with the MSI MPG A1000G listed down lower. Its 98% of the performance for half the price. $169 vs $349 is a lot.

I loved my PCP&C, but man that thing is two days older than dirt now. Compared to something modern, it sucks.

Yea the PC power and cooling psu's were great for their time but are getting long in the tooth. My 950 watt crapped out shortly after installing a 6900XT fortunately it didn't take anything else into the hereafter when it went.
I'm still running one of those (PCP&C 950W Silencer) in a rig I built in 2012 but I'm sure as hell not going to stuff a high end vid card in that box. These days the system is pulling less power than it did when it was new. Back in the day it was my main gaming rig. Socket 2011, SLI, 3x27" 2560x1440 screens running in surround... now it's just a spare rig sitting just outside the stogie tent in my basement. I like cigars so I built a plastic tent and rigged up an exhaust system so I could smoke one without stinking the house up. Works pretty well. Got an one of those 27" monitors (the other two died), mouse and keyboard in the tent on a cheap desk and my old rig sits outside the tent. It has 10Gb ethernet though, so Steam streaming from my main rig works pretty well. I'll probably run that PSU until it dies. I'll swap the machine out as my stogie tent rig when Win10 goes out of support, but I'll probably keep it around as a test mule running Linux for a good bit after that since it has 64GB of ram. Just leave it turned off until I want to use it.

I ended up deciding to build a whole new rig after all this. Younger brother gets to keep the 7700k and I’m going to a 7800x3d. Might as well if I’m going to spend the cash on a high end gpu and PSU. Kind of a shame the new AM5 boards seem so touchy but in for a penny, in for a pound.

I ended up deciding to build a whole new rig after all this. Younger brother gets to keep the 7700k and I’m going to a 7800x3d. Might as well if I’m going to spend the cash on a high end gpu and PSU. Kind of a shame the new AM5 boards seem so touchy but in for a penny, in for a pound.
Good move. I just wouldn't trust a 10yo PSU for anything important. They're ok to use for stogie tent terminals, but not for anything heavy or where a PSU failure would risk damaging valuable reasonably up to date hardware.

I think I still have a PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510W sitting around in a box. I might be tempted to dust if off if the PSU in my little file server croaks, but I'll be looking for a new unit if that happens. That was like the best PSU ever. Damned thing ate brownouts for breakfast. Back in 2005-2007 I lived in an apartment that had frequent brownout problems. Power would go goofy and everything but my dual Opteron rig would get reset. Also not cheap, like $250 in 2005. Please note previous bit about dual Opteron rig if you think that was too much to spend on a PSU in 2005. All that said, it's still too old and I won't trust it.

Been a long time since I heard that name, own one once a long time ago, still have a Corsair TX 650 watt that I bought from old newegg refurbished for $45 way back in RX 290x days, it is still going pushing a B450 Tomahawk / Ryzen 5 3600 /RX 5700 in one of the kids PC's.

so, I have 3 Corsair CX 650M that I started picking up when Best Buy use to have them on sale for $59.99 / $64.99 and about 2 weeks ago with the new high prices $79.99, my $59.99 has been going since 2018 and is now on my AM5 B650 with 7600x / RX 6700 10Gb and runs fine like any Corsair should, I have had it on my Zotac RTX 3070 AMP Holo for a long time with the Ryzen 7 5700x, I can switch the card from my AM4 to my AM5 as they both run the same power supply, they make a 750 watt model also depends on you video card needs.

I still use the Seventeam desktop PSUs from around the same timeframe in multiple computers. No problems. Whether they are better than PCP&C I do not know.

Be careful with the FSP units. I had a 1200W ATX 3.0 unit powering my 4090 at the time, and less than a year it crapped out on me. It's been a week and zero response from FSP for an RMA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another good brand to look at these days is Superflower, they were the oem for the really good evga units a few years ago. I would avoid the smaller leadex gold models(vi/vii I believe) because they use small fans that can get a little noisy.

Just wanted to say the FSP unit has been awesome. Cables are a little stiff but not bad and the unit is dead silent with no issues. Also the cables came with their own bag making it easy to organize what I wasn't using. I guess it should for 350 bucks but I've been pleased. Lets hope it carries my builds into the next 15 years like the PC Power and Cooling did.

Back