Can my system handle a 7800gs?

GonzoP

2[H]4U
I have recently inherited one of my older brother's old PC's. He was a big time computer builder and overclocker [a former member here] and I have just recently begun to get the bug myself. The PC he gave me is over three years old however, he says it is still capable of doing almost anything I could ask of it. First, its specs:
Athlon XP-M*
1GB pc3200
GeForce 4 Ti 4200
60GB 7200rpm HD
DVD
CD-R
Antec TruPower 550 [24A on the 12v] My bro said you guys would need this
etc., etc. I think the above is all the major stuff

He also gave me a 17" 4:3 LCD native resolution is 1280x1024

The main area I'd be looking to upgrade is of course that video card, I have secondary concerns with the memory.

*Regarding this cpu. It is an XP-M it is a mobile Barton with 512kb L2 cache. My brother said he could run it as high as 2.65Ghz[205x13] on 1.95v for benchmarking. The cooler is a Thermalright SLK-800 with a Tornado 80mm fan. [Yes this sucker is pretty loud.] He also said that for everyday operating it could be run at 2.5Ghz[200x12.5] on 1.8v. My brother said that while this cpu is not going to match up against 2006's latest and greatest cpu's. He did think it should be enough cpu horsepower to play 2006's pc games.

So again I am coming back to the video card issue. Now my first thought was to just go out an get a 7800GS. However, I am unsure if my cpu and a 400Mhz FSB would be bottlenecking that card. The other issue I have is budget. It was great that he gave me this old rig of his because I certainly am not in financial position to build a decent system with LCD monitor from scratch. Anyway, I do have as much as $300 to spend upgrading it; hence the 7800GS question. Before he left though my brother wanted me to get your guys' expert opinion on whether or not the 7800GS would be the best route to go. Or if I should not maybe get something like a 6600GT and add another GB of ram? The system currently has 2 512 sticks of Kingston Hyper-X pc3200. The motherboard is a Epox 8K3A+. There are a total of 3 slots for memory i.e. there is a free slot. Which brings me to a question I have. Any problems using 2 512's with a 1GB? Its not a Dual-Channel motherboard.

So really I can either get a 7800GS if you think a Barton running at 2.5Ghz is enough to power it and play 2006 caliber games [mostly f.p.s.' like quake4,fear,serious sam2, ut2004 or maybe even UT2007 when its out?, bf2 though he says 1GB of ram is sub-optimal, etc] at 1280x1024. Or Should I get a 6600GT and another GB of ram?

Finally I have to add that the motherboard in this system does not play with with ATI cards. In 2005 my bro tried both a 9600xt and a x800 with no luck. He said there were always issues that he put down to the Epox's instability with ATI cards on the overclocked agp bus. So while a x850xt might seem like a decent fit for this system I am not going to be going the ATI route.

Thanks, GP

I ran a Gainward 7800GS(20 pipes) 512MB just fine on a P4 2.4GHz 400FSB

Terra...

The GS is too much money for what it can do... I would just get a 6800GT from the sale forums here... Buy it from a guy with lot of heatware and you will be good... It should be around 140-180... Depends you know...

Your ram is fine for now... Unless you want Battlefield 2... Even than 1 gig is enough I think..

Thanks for the reply
So if I could find a 6800gt for around $150 I could then add another GB of ram for 2GB's and still be under my $300 budget.
On a non-DC mobo there shouldn't be a problem running 2 512 sticks and 1 GB stick right?

Tempting. Theissues I'd potentially have to deal with there are the aforementioned lack of affinity this mobo appears to have for ATI cards with an OC'd agp bus. I do suppose I could try running something like 167x15 instead of 200x12.5. Would that be much of a performance hit or negilible?

Also Foo in reading that thread you linked that x850Pro looked tasty especially if the 16 pipies could be a go

im not familliar with xp-m.... does it have like 3200+ ect.. and how many ghz?

ur ram is ok...
ur psu is ok....
yeah u could handle a 7800 but still have no idea on ur cpu... i am a no0b!

NewMonster said:
im not familliar with xp-m.... does it have like 3200+ ect.. and how many ghz?

ur ram is ok...
ur psu is ok....
yeah u could handle a 7800 but still have no idea on ur cpu... i am a no0b!

I'm running the cpu at 2.5Ghz. At this speed it is nearly the equal of a A64 3500+ just slightly worse overall especially in games. But it is faster than the A64 3200+ in almost every regard. At 2.65Ghz my bro's benchmarks [SuperPI, Sandra Tests, PCMark, etc.] almost always bested the A64 3500+.

Back