can send but nor recieve packets

Kungfuhero

Weaksauce
Hey fella's I have this laptop I am working on that belongs to a guy at work. When plugged in to a network cable I can use the internet fine but when using wireless connection it will connect to the router but will not recieve any packets of data. I have been searching forums on the internet for a fix but no one seems to have one. You fine network admin types have any solutions to offier. I have done the ipconfig renew, tried two different routers, used system restore and still on the wireless built in card no packets can be recieved, even turned off the fire wall just in case. I just reinstalled the dell wireless drivers all to no avail.

I cannot ping any other computers on the nework nor can I ping this laptop when using the internal wireless card

Thanks for the help.

kungfuhero

just a guess, but it sounds like you haven't configured wireless security correctly on the laptop.

Sounds like it could be an issue w/ WPA -- I've ran into this before, and I believe Windows XP must be SP2 or newer to accept WPA2.

Also, a 256bit WEP key can cause WinXP to throws fits as well.

A more detailed outline of the Router, Encryption used, etc etc would make it possible for us to help you further.

I'm guessing windows says "Limited Network Connectivity"?

will not recieve packets with encryption on or off, running XP swervice pack 2. No error messages everythign appears to be fine except won't recieve packets. I have configured the wireless security correclty, it worked fine until about 3 weeks ago and quit recieving packets via wireless connection. I can even connect to the router via IP but I cannot ping the router?

Go figure that one out.

that is just it. I am connected to the network, can access the router and can ping other computers but not websites somethign is blocking the internet but I cannot determine what. :confused:

So...wait. When connected via wireless, you can ping internal sites but not anything on the internet?

Start the machine in safe mode with networking and try it that way. If that works, load into normal mode and disable any internet security software. If that doesn't work, go to start-> Run -> CMD

Then type in "netsh winsock reset" without the quotes. Then restart the computer. You may even have to reset the TCP/IP stack as well. But let us know how that goes first.

You know thats right.
I think I'm still confused.

So when connected via wire, everything is fine. No problems.

When connected wirelessly, you can ping the gateway and the internal machines, but not anything on the internet.

Just making sure i understand the issues; you descriptions of the problem are a bit unclear. However, if what I wrote above are the symptoms you are experiencing, check the dhcp settings on the router and make sure the right default gateway is being assigned ( should be the router ).

I fixed it by unistalling the WLAN card and reinstalling using drivers from Dells website.

Thank you gentlemen for all your help.

:D

Back