Can somebody give me info on my TV?

Blinkme323

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, a few years ago I got a new TV. My dad was installing some electrical components in a school and they had 2 extra TV's left. They gave him one, which is what I am using now. I searched the internet, but I can't find much info on it. Anybody care to help? Here is what I know:

It is a Zenith
It is part of their "presentation series"
It is 36"
It has a curved screen and is insanely heavy
It cost $2200 originally
It was made in 2000 I think
It has a VGA input on the front
It has a lot of inputs on the back for Svideo, component, etc.

Does anybody know what this is? I am getting an XBOX360, and most reviews say it needs an HDTV to look really good. Will mine work well with the XBOX360? I think I remember it being SVGA quality which is 800:600 60fps I think. Would that be 720P, 480P, or what? How should I set it up for the 360? Any help is appreciated.

Blinkme323 said:
Hi, a few years ago I got a new TV. My dad was installing some electrical components in a school and they had 2 extra TV's left. They gave him one, which is what I am using now. I searched the internet, but I can't find much info on it. Anybody care to help? Here is what I know:

It is a Zenith
It is part of their "presentation series"
It is 36"
It has a curved screen and is insanely heavy
It cost $2200 originally
It was made in 2000 I think
It has a VGA input on the front
It has a lot of inputs on the back for Svideo, component, etc.

Does anybody know what this is? I am getting an XBOX360, and most reviews say it needs an HDTV to look really good. Will mine work well with the XBOX360? I think I remember it being SVGA quality which is 800:600 60fps I think. Would that be 720P, 480P, or what? How should I set it up for the 360? Any help is appreciated.

I pondered the facts you gave for some time, such as 'Zenith', 'made in 2000', and 'insanely heavy', but couldn't quite place it. Have you tried http://www.zenith.com/ ?

Albert

P.S. When you look it up on the site, I'd suggest having the model number in hand. It will make the search easier.

After a lot of google searching, I found out that my model number is #H3647DT.

It has 560 scan lines. The front VGA does 800:600 60fps, the back VGA can do up to 1600:1200. It has S-video and composite ports as well.

I guess I should buy the VGA adapter and set it to the max. Still a little bit unsure of what to do. Do the above facts mean that my TV is 560P?

Blinkme323 said:
After a lot of google searching, I found out that my model number is #H3647DT.

It has 560 scan lines. The front VGA does 800:600 60fps, the back VGA can do up to 1600:1200. It has S-video and composite ports as well.

I guess I should buy the VGA adapter and set it to the max. Still a little bit unsure of what to do. Do the above facts mean that my TV is 560P?
I'm reading that that TV is native 1024 x 768, but it can also scale down a 1600x1200 rez.

Remember "scaling down" is a whole lot different than a native resolution. That being said 1024x768 is definitely above average for a crt television, and a whole lot better than 800x600 or 640x480, especially if you want to play xbox with some level of quality.

Looks like your crt television still has some life left in it, you chose well back in the day :)

Wow, pretty amazing for a TV that is 6 years old. I actually got it for free, but that is a long story, lol.

Hmm, on second thought.

I nearly forgot that the word "scaling" can mean something different in the crt world (as opposed to an lcd) and "native resolution" is more of a term applied to lcd's. I may be confusing the two technologies. In other words your TV might be capable of a true 1600x1200, it just may not be as geometrically correct as 1024x768 would be. Can any crt/tv experts clear up this confusion?

Looks like you have some fun experimenting ahead of you, maybe test out a pc + graphics card on your television to find out it's true max resolution.

I'm actually interested in what the results would be.

I seem to remember its max res being 800:600 and everything gets downscaled to that. I really don't know though. My PC is really nice, I might try to hook it up.

I don't have any VGA cables on hand, so I will have to wait until Monday to try my PC on it. Can any TV/Display gurus offer their help. Here is what we definately know:

36"
Front VGA is 800:600 60hz
Rear VGA does up to 1600:1200
Native Res is 1024:768
560 Scan lines

What exactly does this all mean. If I hook the 360 up to the VGA and set it 1280x768 will it be any better than if I just plug it into the Composite Cables. Is it worth the extra money for the VGA?

If I do use the composite, should I set it to 480P or 720P. It looks like it should be in between, but there is no setting for that. If I use the VGA, will that give me 720P HD quality, or will it be downscaled? Can I go any higher on the VGA if my TV supports it?

I really appreciate any help!

Blinkme i noticed a few typos or errors in your last post

1) fairly sure you mean Component cables and not Composite
2) Vga def has an overall edge over Component, but not necessarily in every application (like the xbox?)
3) As per roceh's link above, you do have a setting inbetween 480p and 720p, you can select 1024x768 which falls somewhere inbetween.
4) BTW, Vga cables are fairly inexpensive. If you need a set, check out the svga cables at www.monoprice.com

Blinkme323 said:
36"
Front VGA is 800:600 60hz
Rear VGA does up to 1600:1200
Native Res is 1024:768
560 Scan lines

What exactly does this all mean?
beats me, anybody have an answer to that confusing/conflicting info?

I have heard that using component on the XBOX360 you only get the HD resolutions (i.e. the widescreen 16:9 ones 480p, 720p, 1080i) available on the dashboard.

That was not a typo. I have no component inputs. Just baseband composite YRW. VGA at this point is a no brainer. Should I set it to 1024:768 or higher since my TV supports it.

Still no answer to those conflicting specs. Another thing I should mention, The VGA adapter only has support for resolutions up to 1360:768. Should I just set the VGA to 1284:760(720P) or to my native res.

Just start low and move up the resolution until the display gets fuzzy or unreadable...then take it a step back to the last good res :p

Back