Can someone explain the $100 range between these wireless headsets?

cyberslag5k

Limp Gawd
I'm looking into getting a wireless headset. It'll be mostly used for gaming. Audio quality is important, but it doesn't need to be extremely great or anything. I checked for the highest rated wireless headsets on NewEgg, and the top three differ by as much as $100 from each other (link).

Could somebody please answer the following questions:

1. Why such a high difference in price? The only difference I can see there is in the "features" rhetoric.

2. Would I really notice a difference between the three sets? Is the high end logitech one worth it?

3. Is there a better option out there? I prize value above all else. I don't mind paying a little more if it's worth it, but I like to get good bang for my buck.

Thank you.

From the looks of it, the Asus headset doesn't include any HRTF based directional audio. With a USB headset, the cans have their own audio processing, so if you purchase one that does not have directional audio, you will not be able to harness it even with a sound card.

If you want directional audio, then the Creative WoW Headset is also an expensive contender. It got good reviews at [H]ard, but was quoted in the review as being nowhere near as good as the HS1, which is wired, but $40 cheaper.http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Blaster-Warcraft-Wireless/dp/B002L6GCP8/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1291248641&sr=1-9

Here's a review of the HS1200. The reviewer feels that it doesn't have enough bass, and is annoyed at having to change the default audio device every time he wants to use his desktop speakers. He says it's fine for people who don't sit at the computer for hours, isn't recommended as a serious gaming headset.http://metku.net/index.html?path=reviews/creative-hs-1200/index_eng5

Wireless headsets in general aren't as good a value as their wired counterparts. The HS1 will outdo all of the commonly available ones for less coin.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back