Can the ipad mini be jailbroken ?

EarthBrain

Limp Gawd
I am aware that iOS 6 cannot be jailbroken yet. However, if the ipad mini uses the older CPU, would it be able to be downgraded to iOS 5.1.1 so that it can be jailbroken?

No, it can't be downgraded since you won't have SHSH blobs for 5.1.1 (plus all the hardware probably isn't supported on 5.1.1 anyway, it has new things like stereo speakers). However, as soon as there's an untethered iOS 6 Jailbreak for A5 devices, I would expect the iPad Mini to be compatible as well. On average, I think it's been about 4 months after the release of new iOS products before they're jailbroken (untethered). Since the iPad Mini is using the same die-shrunk A5 that's in the iPad 2, it might be sooner. Either way, I wouldn't expect one for at least a few months.

I am aware that iOS 6 cannot be jailbroken yet. However, if the ipad mini uses the older CPU, would it be able to be downgraded to iOS 5.1.1 so that it can be jailbroken?

iOS 6.0.1 can be jailbroken, but it's a tethered jailbreak and only on pre-A5 devices.

I wouldn't hold my breath for an untethered iOS 6 jailbreak any time soon.

just wait for the untethered jailbreak ! :D tethered is such a waste of time

Speaking from someone who is involved with the jailbreak community: No. And I can't give you a timeframe on when one will be available, either.

Technically it can be jailbroken by the jailbreak devs, but they wont release that version of the jailbreak. They are keeping it private so they can use it to help find and work on other public jailbreaks for the future.

Back