Can the multi-GPU client use three GPU's?

mavalpha

[H]F Junkie
Title says it all.
I'm running an AIW X1900, snagged an X1900GT off eBay, and may grab another one. No use for Crossfire here, especially not with three cards. I'm thinking either 680i or BadAxe/2 (doubt I can afford x38) with all three cards installed, running a Celeron to make it a dedicated FAH-GPU box (except when it's recording something off the AIW).

You might have some problems in a bad axe 2 since it's only 4x bandwidth on the 3rd slot. I don't see why you couldn't, although you do know you have to have a monitor hooked up to each one...

I always heard that more than two GPUs would cause problems. When you run two, the second is going to be slower than the first. However, that is with dual core CPUs, I'm not sure how this would work out with a quad.

I personally couldn't get dual GPU folding to work, so I'm probably useless here.

Because DX9 is only single threaded the GPU client does not scale well.
So a single client can pull in ~770 PpD with a slightly overclocked card.
While with dual clients your looking at only ~1350 PpD at the same settings.

The other thing to thinkabout is power useage.
A dual GPU box will pull ~350 watts from the wall.
My dual Xeon box pulls around that and gets ~4500 PpD.
My C2D boxen only pull ~120 watts and get better PpD.
So GPU folding is not good in terms of Points per Day per Watt.

Luck ............. :D

I'm hopping a 2900XT client improves that performance per watt though...if only stanford could get one out...

You might have some problems in a bad axe 2 since it's only 4x bandwidth on the 3rd slot. I don't see why you couldn't, although you do know you have to have a monitor hooked up to each one...

monitors are only needed on startup...I got a couple colo'd.

Back