Can the Q6600 do 3.7ghz or higher on air?

Albanu1800

Limp Gawd
Just wondering because I got it to 3.6ghz stable so I want to see what more can it do.

Or am I pushing my luck with that?

I think the general concensous would be that you are pushing your luck. Check the OC database if it's still around on these forums and see what results folks have been achieving. Hitting 3.6 is really good on a Q6600 so if you don't make 3.7 I suggest not sweating it unless you want to be adventerous and get some heavy duty water cooling.

On a single (cpu only) watercool loop in the right room, on an X48 with DDR3 ram you have overhead past 3.6.. or peltier lol...

otherwise be happy with 3.6 ;) the cpu does have limits

I think 3.6ghz is quite amazing. I could only get my Q6700 to 3.4ghz on air... =(

Current system specs not updated in the sig yet;

Q6600
Asus P5Q-PRo
2 gb G Skill PC-6400
Seagate 320 gb Sata, Seagate 500gb Sata HD
Corsair 750tx Ps

Took the Xigmatek off the X2 and put on the Q6600 and temps never get above 62.

I have a Q6700 (1.325v VID) running at 3,33GHz with 1.4v (CPUz) any lower volts and it fails Prime64 but will pass prime32, do-able on air but I have it on water with 40C idle and 55C load but it could do alot more with some more volts but its only 24h old.

I also have a Q6600 B3 (1.3v VID) that can only do 3.4GHz flat out (1.55v) with the heat output of a small powerstation when running flat out, could only get 3GHz on air due to the heat.

Basically, if you have 3.6GHz on air then you are lucky. You can try for 3.7GHz and see how the temps fare but for my B3 chip there is no way I could do it (hitting 80C+ with light load at 3.2GHz)

my 6700 doesnt do 9mhz over 3.6. runs 100% stable, 24hrs OCCT/prime, 12 hrs 3dmark06. i raise the FSB 1mhz, to 9x401, and it fails OCCT after 8 hrs. bumping vcore from 1.4125 to even 1.45 yeilds same results.

considering i got the 6700 cheaper than a 6600 almost 8 months ago, i consider it a steal!

Got the bolt thru kit from Xigmatek using AS5. I got 4 fans running in my Thermaltake Swing case, all 120mm except the ps fan which is 130mm.

In bios I have all fans on turbo but still quiet like I like it. Since I switched to the Corsair ps my rig is quiet my old Ultra Ps had it sounding like a jet engine.

It really depends. Some of the new processor batches that are coming out seems to have a low VID of 1.25v and can reach 3.6ghz. YMMV of course depending on your cooling and other factors that I won't put in here as there are plenty of "how to overclock" threads. It seems the also the new L808 batches are coming with low vids

Look around on the net and see if you can find any batch numbers that seem to consistently clock high but finding one of those may be more problematic.

My L73xb batch does 3.6ghz on a Xigmatek with 1.37v. Trying to get to 3.7ghz means I have to ramp it up close to 1.45 volts to get it stable.

On a single (cpu only) watercool loop in the right room, on an X48 with DDR3 ram you have overhead past 3.6.. or peltier lol...

otherwise be happy with 3.6 ;) the cpu does have limits

Was never fond of watercooling. The way chips are manufactured today for me air cooling is good enough. Otherwise I'd be trying to win a OC contest or break a world record.

Temps aren't so much of the issue as voltage and stability are. You could try for 3.7GHz, but 1.5v should be the highest voltage you use otherwise you could shorten the life of the chip.

Personally, I would go for it as long as you don't risk killing the chip :D.

Why try even higher? 3,6 GHz is a very good result on air, sure there are some people who got it over 3,7 GHz, but only a few. If you have the time, go aheah and try it. But personally I wouldn't use it for everyday news. I guess Vcore needs to be way above 1,45v, maybe even more than 1,5v which is getting insane on air.

Why try even higher? 3,6 GHz is a very good result on air, sure there are some people who got it over 3,7 GHz, but only a few. If you have the time, go aheah and try it. But personally I wouldn't use it for everyday news. I guess Vcore needs to be way above 1,45v, maybe even more than 1,5v which is getting insane on air.

Also your video card is quite outdated, your 3,6 GHz quad is already bored of that card, at least in games you most likely wouldn't get any more performance. Hell you can even run it at 2,8 GHz or maybe even @ stock and most likely won't suffer that much of a performance lost in games.

Also your video card is quite outdated, your 3,6 GHz quad is already bored of that card, at least in games you most likely wouldn't get any more performance. Hell you can even run it at 2,8 GHz or maybe even @ stock and most likely won't suffer that much of a performance lost in games.

Well this is the first time that I bought a chip that could hit 3ghz and beyond. I've been used to Amd and little overclocking for so long I just needed a change of pace. I like to soemtimes test the waters to see how far I could go. Even if I achieve 3.7 or higher I would bring it down to at least 3.6 to not waste my investment in a short amount of time.

I know my video card is old and I've been waiting to upgrade it and I'll buy the 4850 right after I get Vista 64 with two more gigs of ram. I think I'll try a 2 gig stick.

Well I think the voltage situation is probably the most limiting factor. I've got my Q6700 (1.275 vid) running at 3600 without any problems, on water with a Vcore of about 1.51 in Windows. That's about as high as I'm willing to set the voltage, even though my idle/load temps are like 28/45. And ultimately, 100mhz is absolutely useless aside from MAYBE giving you a slightly faster super pi score.

Hey I can encode x264 720p blu ray rips at 37fps 1st pass and 19fsp 2nd pass and the whole process takes about 3 1/2 hrs - life is good :)

Well I think the voltage situation is probably the most limiting factor. I've got my Q6700 (1.275 vid) running at 3600 without any problems, on water with a Vcore of about 1.51 in Windows. That's about as high as I'm willing to set the voltage, even though my idle/load temps are like 28/45. And ultimately, 100mhz is absolutely useless aside from MAYBE giving you a slightly faster super pi score.

Hey I can encode x264 720p blu ray rips at 37fps 1st pass and 19fsp 2nd pass and the whole process takes about 3 1/2 hrs - life is good :)

I understand. With the Amd systems I didn't want to mess with the voltage too much but to get a somewhat good oc I had to change the memory voltage also. I'm not going to be doing too much tweaking on this system yet because I want to do that with Vista. Issues in the bios with Expressgate and DriveXpert Asus hasn't provided an answer for and searching their forums comes up NIL..

Nice with the burning bd movies, what software do you use? I'm a regular at afterdawn.com but I've been waiting for prices to drop more on blu-ray hardware.

My 6600 has a vid of 1.20, its able to reach 3.7 but it takes a huge jump in voltage to do it, the temps border on what i feal comfortable with, 3.8 is a no go, it does get into windows and can open firefox though, thats about it. 3.6ghz is plenty though, even 200mhz isnt a very noticable difference to me, but the jump from 2.4 to 3.6 definitely is.

My q6600 was capable of doing 3.7ghz with a 1.503vcore on my maximus formula board. I had it under water too ( fuzion, pa120.3) but i soon grew tired of water. I figured that todays chips are capable of taking a little heat so I returned to air. If you can reach 3.7ghz on air with temps under 70c go for it. Otherwise its not worth it.

Yeah but my voltage jumped up to 1.45 I don't like that. I guess I have to deal with it?

My q6600 with a VID of 1.2875v can run at 3.6ghz at only 1.5v stable on prime95 for 10hours. Though I can run it at 1.4v but its not as stable.... Anyway voltage isnt a problem as long as it has proper cooling which is extremely important. With an AF7 Pro temps would reach 70C and max oc was probably 3.8 or 3.9ghz. However after I got a TRUE 120 and lapped both heatsink and cpu HS, temps were high 55/low 60s on prime 95. Unfortunately I am using an ABIT IP35-E which is a great cheap overclocking board except that for PWM temperatures which shoot through the roof preventing me from trying to oc further.

However, since I only use my comp for basic things such as internet and a few games here and there, just oc my q6600 to 3.0... I am sure there is a benefit running at 3.6 but I do not use comp intensive programs and I dont wana have to deal with heat issues during the summer. Its all good pushing your q6600 to its limits... just make sure you keep an eye on cpu temp and pwm temp, more importantly, its summer so be a little careful leaving your comp on all night doing prime95, because when you wake up it may be hotter then you thought it could be. Also get some cheap ambient temp monitor so you have something to compare your cpu temp too. I mean when I was testing vis prime95 I tried to keep track of ambient temp (not the temp outside your home but the temp in the room where your comp is in).

Back