Can you do a clean install with Windows 7 'upgrade'

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
I can get the upgrade version for a low cost... So I was wondering if the upgrade version can do clean installs.

Yes. Hit up Google or even a search here... should be lots of information.

Yes, but you have to do some extra steps.

The upgrade version requires a validated WinXP or Vista install to already be on the drive. When you start the Win7 install, you can use the installer to wipe the drive. When it does so, the installer will save the validation info from the drive before wiping it; when you then install Win7, it will transfer that validation info over to the Win7 install.

If you're asking if the upgrade will work with a blank drive, the answer is no.

Install W7, then install it again and it will activate.

You left out a few steps so your advice won't work. When you do what it takes to make it work, it's not legit, MS knows about it and did something about it, you may be able to work around what they did for now, but it's still not legit and could ultimately leave a user hanging high and dry with an unactivated product. So... bad advice.

You left out a few steps so your advice won't work. When you do what it takes to make it work, it's not legit, MS knows about it and did something about it, you may be able to work around what they did for now, but it's still not legit and could ultimately leave a user hanging high and dry with an unactivated product. So... bad advice.

Double Install method still works fine. If you don't want the second install, just look at method two over here.

I always use method#2 using the reg hack because it doesn't require a double install and have never had an issue. It works on both Vista and Win7 too.

If you're installing on a new drive, why not just buy an OEM copy? They're the same price roughly of a retail upgrade.

Both those methods work well. I have tried all three and they all work.

Ah.

Might want to check on a full retail copy thru your school. My wife enrolled in some classes at Dekalb Tech a couple years ago and I was able to get my copy for $30. They may have something like that still going on.

Put in upgrade version, install win7, when it asks for a key, skip it.

Get to desktop, insert CD again, this time click on "upgrade" and enter key.

I just did it.

Put in upgrade version, install win7, when it asks for a key, skip it.

Get to desktop, insert CD again, this time click on "upgrade" and enter key.

I just did it.

The method I linked to above is much faster. You don't have to install twice. You install once without a key, change a reg key, and then activate with your key. It'll save you a good 15-20 minutes while you're waiting for the OS to install.

Back