Can you put upload pictures to an android tablet?

tpfaff

2[H]4U
Hey guys my mom wants a tablet but she wants to be able to put her pictures on it from her point and shoot. Obvisouly you could put the pictures on a pc and then move them to a tablet but thats not what she wants. Can you do this with the newer tablets like the xoom or the new tab? Or is this not enabled until ice cream sandwich?

That is why Host USB function is important. Here's how it's done in Froyo on the Archos. All newer tablets should be capable of doing the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjZhVC3XiMY

It's not a camera, but the principle is the same. You plug it into the tablets USB port using the same USB cable you plug to your PC and it's read as a storage device.

Remember to get a tablet with a "Host USB" port, it's the one that looks like the USB port on your PC.

What memory card is her camera using? If it's MicroSD, it should be accepted on the tablet as well. If it's the normal SD Card, you can use a USB card reader and stick that into the tablet.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but in this case the clean solution is an iPad + Camera Connection Kit. That is the fool proof (albeit limited) way of doing it. You cant really get into trouble, and there is no worry about doing copy paste operations or something (which a surprising amount of people have trouble with/get into trouble with).

Is usb host functionality native to honeycomb? I'd rather not hack around with it but I guess I can if I have to. Her memory card is an SD card.

I hate to say it, but in this case the clean solution is an iPad + Camera Connection Kit. That is the fool proof (albeit limited) way of doing it. You cant really get into trouble, and there is no worry about doing copy paste operations or something (which a surprising amount of people have trouble with/get into trouble with).

:( I refuse to accept this reality :p

ICS can't come soon enough to fix this problem

@Grentz
Then run a gallery app and use that instead of the file browser. I usually use the file browser because i normally have data files on my thumbdrives that most apps don't recognize.

@tpfaff
USB Host isn't a software function. It's the name of the port. If you see a socket on the tablet that looks like you can plug your keyboard into, it's automatically 'USB Host' capable.

androidcommunityp109036.jpg

It looks exactly like the USB port on your PC.

@Grentz
Then run a gallery app and use that instead of the file browser. I usually use the file browser because i normally have data files on my thumbdrives that most apps don't recognize.

@tpfaff
USB Host isn't a software function. It's the name of the port. If you see a socket on the tablet that looks like you can plug your keyboard into, it's automatically 'USB Host' capable.

androidcommunityp109036.jpg

It looks exactly like the USB port on your PC.

So if there's a full size usb port then you can use a device on it?

Well, it's pretty much the main reason they put a USB Host port in there in the first place.

That smaller port to the right of the host port in the pic is the 'USB Client'. It's the one that handles connecting to the PC and can do recharging. Those two ports are pretty distinct from each other.

some do, some dont. The Transformer for instances doesn't if you don't have the dock, but if you do then you have the USB port.

The devs over at xda just made a lot of progress on getting host usb capability working on the Nook color:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1016202

verygreen has a video of typing on a keyboard with it...it was just as of yesterday, though. It needs more work - this was just preliminary..

Honestly, for this kind of thing for your mom, an ipad with that stupid camera connection kit might be the way to go.

Video i just made of me moving files off my camera phone. No hacking or rooting involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LPVjCC9VAw

App i used is QuickPic. The tablet is an Archos 101 Gen8. It's a last gen tablet tho, you might prefer the newer Acer A500.

EDIT: This is a demo for the USB cable. When i'm moving pictures off my phone, i use bluetooth.

Last edited:
Nice video. After doing some research it seems that honeycomb 3.1 has a usb host api. Applications can now use usb devices such as keyboards/gamepads etc. Possibly the gallery app could natively use a usb storage device now (but it seems like thats what you were doing anyways, or were you using a file manager?) I wonder if the new tab 10.1 has a standard usb port. I'll look into that acer tablet thanks!

http://googlewatch.eweek.com/conten..._galaxy_tab_101_coming_with_honeycomb_31.html

An even better way:

100_0383.jpg

I think he's referring to using the memory cards as an option for transferring files.

The thing about it is that the few cameras we have use SD Cards (Not sure if it's a standard for cameras). Android tablets on the other hand seem to lean towards micro SD. You can get around this by using adapters or card readers.

Last edited:
I think he's referring to using the memory cards as an option for transferring files.

The thing about it is that the few cameras we have use SD Cards (Not sure if it's a standard for cameras). Android tablets on the other hand seem to lean towards micro SD. You can get around this by using adapters or card readers.

Every camera I've had has microSDHC cards in them. They are just way too common these days. Of course they are still in the regular plastic SD holder to be used but even the 512meg one that came with my most recent camera was microSD.

Ipads don't have any external ports so if you go the iPad rout you have to pay extra ontop of the already expensive iPad to get this function.

Windows tablets would be even easier since I think they all have USB where some android DO NOT.

Back