Can you spraypaint noctua fans?

If you do a good job, sure, you can paint just about anything. But someone sloppy could put a big blob of paint on one blade and cause the fan to get out of balance, making it vibrate more etc. Might want to try it out and get a feel for it on a cheap fan first. And don't try anything other than spray paint, brushing puts on paint to thick and uneven.

Yes, absolutely.

Pull the fans apart, and make sure to cover *all* the electronics and magnet assembly with tape ( A dremel disk is *perfect* to cover the inside of the fan's magnetic assembly) and spray it with a plastic paint.

About 10 - VERY - light coats of paint on the fan should do it. Plastic paints generally contain Xylene or something similar, and are very runny.

Judging by his signature, he has a V1000B on the way which is black, and he said he wanted his fans to match his case, so black would work great.

Why not just replace the damn fan? Considering the time its going to take to spray paint the fan, the cost of the spraypaint, etc, it's not worth it.

Well, this is a modding forum, and he was asking how to paint fans. A lot of times I do find it better to mod things, even if it does mean spending $3 extra, instead of just buying something else that might not be EXACTLY what you want.

Why not just replace the damn fan? Considering the time its going to take to spray paint the fan, the cost of the spraypaint, etc, it's not worth it.

Because those are Noctua fans. They rock.

Can you spray paint noctua fans without inhibiting their ability to rotate?

Wait a sec. Are you talking about the NF-P12 fans on your Noctua U12P CPU cooler? The fan blades on those have a slight texture to them for a reason--presumably to decrease sound or increase airflow--painting them might smooth them and decrease performance. But practically, you'll probably won't notice anyway.

Hahah oh man I thought I only see those messages in my petrolhead forums.

Wait a sec. Are you talking about the NF-P12 fans on your Noctua U12P CPU cooler? The fan blades on those have a slight texture to them for a reason--presumably to decrease sound or increase airflow--painting them might smooth them and decrease performance. But practically, you'll probably won't notice anyway.

+1

I bought this cooler with the same ugly fan, and quite honestly, the color scheme is hideous. But, the performance in terms of sound limiting and cooling is superior by design; a design that does indeed intentionally include smooth texture on one side of the blade and textured on the other for good reason.

If this were a cheaper, less meticulously designed fan, I'd say go for it, but some things are above modification.

My vote is "leave it as is", but it's your choice, and I won't lose any sleep if you choose to do the opposite.

Personally, if someone gave me a tan Rolls-Royce, I wouldn't take it to Maaco or Earl Scheib and get a cheap black paint job...

I didn't but should have laughed at that horsepower comment...

Would it help performance if I installed a two-tier wing on the ass-end of my case?

Or if you don't like that, piss on an electric fence. Or piss against the wind. Many options here.

Resurrecting an old thread here... I'm getting ready to paint my fan blades to match the color scheme of my build. Question, do you sand and prime the fan blades before using plastic spray paint? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Resurrecting an old thread here... I'm getting ready to paint my fan blades to match the color scheme of my build. Question, do you sand and prime the fan blades before using plastic spray paint? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I know with Krylon Fusion I just cleaned the surface really good with rubbing alcohol then did multiple coats until all the surface was covered. On the coats I did really thin where it looks like I barley sprayed anything on it and waited 15min between each coat. Worked real nice on my Sonata front panel. I did a Black/White theme. The painted parts feels like the plastic is actually white to begin with. Had the same roughish texture as it did before.

I would not spray these fans at all... this just kinda defeats the purpose of these fans.

Back