Cannot connect to internet in Vista

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
I have a problem with the network in general in vista. Ever since I uninstalled Norton I have not been able to access the internet. I found the problem was that dhcp and other network settings were disabled in services. The problem is when I try and enable them it is giving me an access denied. I am using an account that has admin rights.

Any ideas?

LOL! Serves whomever it was right for deliberately infecting their computer with Norton or McAfee or AOL!

Was it a Norton suite that came with a firewall? If so, make sure you uninstall everything relating to Norton on your machine.

Norton doesn't uninstall cleanly and they have an exe file on their website to remove it cleanly. Why they don't include that file on their disk is unfathomable but I haven't touched their crap in years so don't need it.
I just happen to know that because of a friend who had issues removing their software.

#1. You DO NOT need additional security programs running on your computer. Windows firewall and your Routers Firewall is enough. If you have a virus or maleware scanner, do NOT use dynamic scanning. Unless your dealing with enterprise level stuff it probably sucks and is going to cause issues.

#2. Browse smartly and you won't need this crap.

#3. There's some type of service or proxy or something running that is blocking your connection. Look at the task list and start closing non-windows services. I guarantee your internet will start working again.

Back