Cannot install World of Warcraft (common-2.mpq error)

Avengeance

Gawd
Ok so I recently upgraded my computer and put Windows 7 on it and everything and I wanted to starting playing WoW again. I started to load it and when I try to install it I get a common-2.mpq error or common.mpq error and the installer stops. What I have read about this, this is a ram issue.

I just upgraded from 2gb of ram to 4gb of ram by purchasing some off of someone on this board. I set up the ram with the way OCZ says (5-6-6-18 timing and 2.0v) and I still cant get the installer to complete.

I am going to run a memtest today while I am at work and let it run till I get back and see what it finds. But I know some people have ram issues and it doesn't show up in memtest. Either way, I want to find out if there is something wrong hardware wise or if its a windows 7 issue or a driver issue.

No other problems in any other games at all.

Was just wondering if anyone else had this problem or has any insight on it. Thanks!

Specs:

AMD X4 Phenom 2 945
Biostar TA790GXB A2+
OCZ2VU8004GK (2x2GB DDR2-800)
ASUS 5870 1GB
Antec Earthwatts 500w
Windows 7 x64

Take out the memory you upgraded and installed and try again. If it works, bingo, you've got bad/incompatible RAM.

Are you using the downloadable installer or DVD/CD installer?

Might be your CD is scratched up.

Copy the installation files from all WoW CD to your hard drive and install from there.
If you still get errors, do a memtest. Most likely your RAM is bad.

Tried the CDs and their online installer, both have problems. Memtest is running right now. I will be able to check it when I get home.

Just got home, memtest ran for 5 hours almost 6 passes with no errors. Tried the installer right after that, same problem.

Trying now with 1 stick of ram in slot 1 so we will see if its the ram, settings or the mobo. Troubleshooting is fun! (not)

Grabbed my other ram (2x1gb) that I know works and it has the same issue so it looks like it might be my file system.

Also I did a chkdisk or whatever its called and it had some security errors or something when it was scanning that it said there wasnt enough space to fix them.

Back