Canon IP3000 won't print black, newegg wants a ref number from Canon

MikeS

n00b
I bought a Canon IP3000 printer on May 8th from newegg and it won't print black ink. I talked to Canon and they said it's defective..So I emailed newegg asking for a refund. This is what they wrote back

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. After reviewing your account, we noticed that you placed sales order xxxxxx for item#xxxxxxx on 05/08. As listed on our website, this item may only returned for a replacement of the same make/model. Since you have already cut UPC from the box, therefore we are sorry for unable to issue an RMA for refund. However, we would like to issue an RMA for replacement as long as you must require a Reference Number from manufacturer determining it is defective within the first 30 days from the original invoice date. Please contact Canon at 800-828-4040 or visit their website http://www.canon.com for the reference number, and then reply to this email, and we will issue an RMA for replacement.

I called Canon back and they have no idea what a reference number is. He said perhaps he could take my phone number down and then newegg could call them to see that I talked with them. I wrote back to newegg asking them to be more specific about a reference number and this is what they said:

Thank you for writing back to us.
A reference number is any number used for reference after customer contacted the manufacturer determining the item is defective. Please contact Canon at 800-828-4040 for it, and reply to this email with it, and then we will be more than happy to issue an RMA for replacement.
Thank you for your understanding.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, I can't get an RMA until I get a ref number but Canon doesn't seem to issue them.

By the way, I still have the UPC proof of purchase.. I was doing it before I forgot but I guess I didn't make sure the printer wasn't a lemon, doh..

It's your ticket number.

Call canon, and if they say its DOA, ask them for your ticket number. If they deny, they got one.. just tell them its required for a NewEgg RMA replacement.

Ok, I guess their server was down so they never made a case file.. just have to call back when it's back up.

Back