can't authenticate with winxp PRO client to samba share

doh-nut

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a samba server on the LAN with no domain. just a workgroup.

-set up a user called 'dave' with password 'blah' on samba machine and on xp machine. same passwords on both.
-dave can successfully get into share when I'm logged in as dave in win xp

Heres the problem. when im not logged in as dave on the winxp computer, it brings up this when i attempt to get into the share:
guest.jpg

BUT, I thought that if i had this enabled:
Classic-login-for-shares.jpg

that i wouldn't get this greyed out guest login anymore? and that it would let me type in dave and 'blah', and send me on my way. this is not the case though

is this simply not possible? any help would be appreciated. I was thinking its more of a windows client problem, than a samba problem. but I really don't know for sure

I think that means that you will, by default login as the local account. Turn it off, and see if you get the option back. I think the setting being enabled forces it to log on as whatever local account you choose, thus not allowing you to change your username at the prompt.

I would have edited my last post but the server wasn't letting me...

Any way after reading my own post I found it to be confusing. To clarify: enabled this forces the login as the local user, not letting you change the user name.

Phaedrus said:
I would have edited my last post but the server wasn't letting me...

Any way after reading my own post I found it to be confusing. To clarify: enabled this forces the login as the local user, not letting you change the user name.

the other option is log in as guest only. which actually produces the same result :(

err right, and I said turn it off... Duh.... Its been a long week, thats my only excuse. Are you using the default samba settings on the server(user level security)? Just making sure cause I agree its a client problem. (which I'm researching now, you want a blank logon box so you can pass your other accounts credentials)

I know that if guest account is disabled on an MS server and it doesnt recognize your curent logon, It will prompt you for a different logon/pass. Do you have a guest account enabled on the samba box?

Phaedrus said:
err right, and I said turn it off... Duh.... Its been a long week, thats my only excuse. Are you using the default samba settings on the server(user level security)? Just making sure cause I agree its a client problem. (which I'm researching now, you want a blank logon box so you can pass your other accounts credentials)

I know that if guest account is disabled on an MS server and it doesnt recognize your curent logon, It will prompt you for a different logon/pass. Do you have a guest account enabled on the samba box?

hmm, whats this MS server you are referring to? i only have windows XP clients on the LAN with the linux server. I made a new smb.conf from scratch so I can start with a basic share and then go from there. right now heres my smb.conf

include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf

[global]
workgroup = MSHOME
netbios name = scarface
security = share

[shared]
path = /share1
guest ok = Yes
writable = Yes
read only = No

so right now guest access works just fine. everyone has full access to share1. any ideas on what to try?

switch the security setting to user...
(security=user)

If that doesnt get you a blank login then try turning guest off

(guest ok=off)

Phaedrus said:
switch the security setting to user...

i was experimenting with this a while back, but didn't see any different results. heres what i have done:

smb.conf =

[shared]
path = /share1
writable = Yes
guest ok = No
valid users = poseyj

(same global settings as before except i set security = user.)
then i do this:

-create an account called poseyj in debian(adduser)
-create an account called poseyj using 'smbpasswd' and enable this

BOTH accounts have exactly the same password as my windows xp 'poseyj' whom i currently have logged on in winxp.

-chmod 770 /share1

but access is denied still. any hints to what im missing? im not even getting a login prompt this time, im not sure whats different

sorry bro I'm tapped... Not much experience with samba beyond the default settings. On the client side(XP) your security setting is correct as far as I can tell(classic logon).

ok doh. this is strange though, im trying to make this as basic as possible with user authentication. ive followed the samba documentation exactly, although it doesn't answer some questions i have that may or not pertain to getting it to work.

its not right though, that chmod 777 to the share dir gives access to every client accessing the samba share, Despite my explicit configuration for that share that no guests are allowed, and ONLY one user. i thought samba would be more secure than this?

Is that option you showed above the same thing as disabling simple file sharing? That's what I usually have to disable to get this to work.

Or I just do it from the command line:

net use x: \\machine\share /user:username

JBark said:
Is that option you showed above the same thing as disabling simple file sharing?

I've had amazing success fixing wierd networking glitches in windows by disabling broken file sharing.

windows explorer->tools->folder options->view->uncheck 'use simple file sharing'

ive got simple file sharing enabled. isn't the other kind only applicable in domains?

but i was wondering. do i need to give 'poseyj' permissions in debian? hes just a default user right now

EDIT:

ok i got USER-level security shares to work. it asks for a login and pass when you attempt connect to the samba computer. if only it presented this nice login/pass box when i was in share-level mode. because I want users to be able to get into the samba computer without authenticating, but then people can access their private shares there with a logic/pass. but its giving a greyed out guest and password login this way. is this normal?

Back