cant break 1k ppd using 3 systems :(

INFINITE

Limp Gawd
Ok I'm in desperate need of an upgrade but money is tight. I use to fold on an old quad cpu xeon where I last worked and that system only mustered around 3k ppd. I wanted to enter the i7 giveaway but after re-reading the thread they wanted 4k ppd when I thought it said a month LOL.

So in an attempt to meet the quota to be eligible for the contest I'm attempting to use the following three systems.

P4 3.8ghz with a juggernaut geforce 6800xt (I'll LOL for you)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz laptop

Using all three of these machines running two console versions at the same time so CPU is pegged at 100% the most I've achieved is a failtastic 400ppd :(

I've made sure every instance of the console is using a different ID. Its been a while since I messed around with the client so is there something I'm missing here? I did have to use an older version of the console client - I was receiving weird errors with the newest one (running on xp).

Here is an example of the client.cfg

[settings]
username=PiPeBoMb
team=33
asknet=no
machineid=1
local=13

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no

[clienttype]
type=3

the C2Ds should be running regular SMP WUs and get some bonus, my C2D lappy (1.6ish) gets 800 PPD with one SMP thread.

This upgrade might get you to near 2KPPD.

Sorry to say it, as far as I know, the nvidia card is not worth anything PPD.. I Don't think it has the proper shader architecture.

so get your paskey in there and swap the C2Ds to SMP

ok i wasnt sure if the C2D should be using the smp client or not thanks a lot I'll switch that right away

yeah i figured the gpu was worthless

maybe i could get a runner up prize for the lil cpu that could? LOL

Sorry to say it, as far as I know, the nvidia card is not worth anything PPD.. I Don't think it has the proper shader architecture.

Correct jfb, the GPU client only works with 8xxx series cards or newer.

Last edited:
So with C2D I'm using the latest console smp client and configured it for smp but its only showing 50% cpu - is that normal? Or should I be running two separate clients diff names / ids and such?

Also jfb out of curiosity are you crunching normal or big wu's?

no, just one client. You can try -smp 2, but it should run all cores automatically.

ok thx ill give that a try - im still hazy from the first time i set this up but if i recall i had 4 console clients running on a 4way box before and they were all at 100% so thats why this is throwing me off only utilizing half

Nathan knew I was coming.

I have a core 2 duo 2.5ghz laptop that gets about 2,000 PPD if I let it run 24/7

What you're probably seeing is the client is still running a single core work unit. It has to finish that one before it'll start the SMP work units.

jebo are you using advanced methods? also what size work units?

again tyvm all for the help

hopefully with these two machines I can meet the req. for the contest :)

jfc are you serious that single gpu will do that much? i was barely getting 3300 with that older 4 way xeon box

thx for the tip! too bad my p4's mobo only has pci-e 16x wah wah :(

My GTX460 is getting just shy of 11k so if it's in the budget I'd go that way and give the cpu's a rest. Maybe just run the C2D for a little extra boost.

My GTX460 is getting just shy of 11k so if it's in the budget I'd go that way and give the cpu's a rest. Maybe just run the C2D for a little extra boost.

Heh, not if it's chewing on a 6806. my GTX 460 is only getting 7K ppd on that. You might want to think about compatibility with older mobos too. I recently gave my brother a A8N32-SLI mobo and bought a new HD5830 to go with it and it wouldn't boot, even after flashing the latest BIOS. Had to give him my GTS250 which works great but I had to eat the HD5830 and have 1 less GPU folding for the Horde ...

there's a new version 7 of the client that will run on that 5830

Yeah, I had thought about it but if it's anything like folding was on a HD4850 I used to have, with the card's fan ratcheting up to take-off volume then no thanks. The HD5830 is in the family PC just to the left of the living room and main viewing area and I've taken great pains to make it quiet including upgrading the CPU fan and changing the case to one with more ventilation and 120mm fans. Anyone else running a HD5xxx series wanna chime in?

you have the stock cooler on the 5830?

If so, I'm quite sure you'll be annoyed with the noise. Sticking an aftermarket cooler on there would obviously clear up that issue.

you have the stock cooler on the 5830?

If so, I'm quite sure you'll be annoyed with the noise. Sticking an aftermarket cooler on there would obviously clear up that issue.

Yep stock cooler. NOT interested in spending any cash on a card I didn't want but thanks jebo. I will upgrade to another NV GPU in a month or so. Either I will replace the HD5830 or shuffle the rest of my lineup and add a 2nd GPU to another rig somewhere, 2 of my mobos have several PCI-E slots for GPU's. After all the kids are happy cranking up the detail with the 5830 as it's only running a 1680x1050 res, or it'll make an excellent HTPC card if I ever build one for our bedroom to stream from my server. Occasionally we all have to eat something we don't want but sometimes it doesn't taste that bad ...;)

yep been there.

you could always give it a shot. especially if you clean it and apply some decent TIM. Then, use an app like MSI Afterburner to manually keep the fan speed down while keeping the temps in the high 80s.

You might find that it will fold at a decent fan speed. I think those 5800s produce PPD in the same 10k neighborhood with the good units.

Yes have MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision (own both types). 10K ? From a Radeon? That's pretty hard to pass up right now as my boxen have been hit with some real chewy units lately. It might be a late one tonight. "Thanks" jebo :D

ehh.... 800 is my consistent for the C2D. It's a lappy, so it's a bit slow. Jebo's 2K? I dunno, but if he gets it, it should be possible.

just think, you would be just shy with the 2 C2Ds.... Maybe some overclocking will put you above the 4K PPD we all need.

Maybe some overclocking will put you above the 4K PPD we all need.

Better make sure they get good ventilation if you're gonna OC, heat builds up fast in the confines of a laptop. Now would be a good time to clean 'em out with some comp. air , maybe prop 'em up with some makeshift "feet" too ...

for s&g approx what kind of ppd would a radeon 6950 (stock / not unlocked) pull off?

for s&g approx what kind of ppd would a radeon 6950 (stock / not unlocked) pull off?
8,000?

You need the version 7 client to get the good work units for ATI cards. Supposedly the PPD will get even better in the future.

never mind on the OC, I just saw they were lappies like mine, just clocked higher.

jfc are you serious that single gpu will do that much? i was barely getting 3300 with that older 4 way xeon box

thx for the tip! too bad my p4's mobo only has pci-e 16x wah wah :(

My 4P Opteron 6174 is doing around 350-360K ppd right now.

MIBW also rents his farm... might be less expensive than buying new hardware.

Yeah, I had thought about it but if it's anything like folding was on a HD4850 I used to have, with the card's fan ratcheting up to take-off volume then no thanks. The HD5830 is in the family PC just to the left of the living room and main viewing area and I've taken great pains to make it quiet including upgrading the CPU fan and changing the case to one with more ventilation and 120mm fans. Anyone else running a HD5xxx series wanna chime in?

Running a reference design 5870 with v7 fahcore_16 and getting 9000 ppd. Not the greatest, but MUCH better than ATI used to be at folding and it is still beta, so better performance is expected with bigger wu's. Runs the card between 94% & 99% so it actually does not heat up as much as it could. I run a custom fan profile and it hits 43% at 71C, so you can hear it, but not excessive.

Running a reference design 5870 with v7 fahcore_16 and getting 9000 ppd. Not the greatest, but MUCH better than ATI used to be at folding and it is still beta, so better performance is expected with bigger wu's. Runs the card between 94% & 99% so it actually does not heat up as much as it could. I run a custom fan profile and it hits 43% at 71C, so you can hear it, but not excessive.

Hmm, good info yakk, good to know. Custom fan profile might do the job. Whatcha using? The case has a fan port right on the side, maybe I will put a quiet 120mm to supply the GPU with fresh air and see if I can keep the speed on the GPU fan down and quiet. I might just try Radeon folding again if it goes well. Hell my next upgrade just might be a Radeon if they close the folding deficit with NV cards. But then I'll need at least 2 more monitors ... :eek:

I don't think I can pass up on the evga B stock 460gtx - I'm going to order one today. That's certainly within my budget and it'll buy me a little more time before a complete hardware refresh. That card compared to the pos 6800 I'm running now will be night and day.

Hell they have a 1366 b stock SLI board for 79.99! The biggest downfall is it comes with no accessories.

Anyone know if you can buy a mobo accessory "kit"? I'd be most interested in the usb header connectors - I have all the sata cables I need - and probably a crossfire / sli bridge.

edit - faaaaaaaaaaaaaack the 460's are all gone

Hmm, good info yakk, good to know. Custom fan profile might do the job. Whatcha using? The case has a fan port right on the side, maybe I will put a quiet 120mm to supply the GPU with fresh air and see if I can keep the speed on the GPU fan down and quiet. I might just try Radeon folding again if it goes well. Hell my next upgrade just might be a Radeon if they close the folding deficit with NV cards. But then I'll need at least 2 more monitors ... :eek:

I just use Afterburner for a custom fan profilre and clock my 5870 at 900mhz, as high as Catalyst will let me. Using AMD Clock Tool I can max the OC around 1Ghz (+/- 10,000 ppd) with additional voltage, but for folding and longevity, I decided to stop at 900mhz.

Right now I'm trying folding, but my GPU has been doing various DC projects for almost 2 years non-stop.

And.. you'd REALLY like the extra 2 monitors.... ;)

Back