Can't get mic to work properly on onboard sound

Phrantic

n00b
Alright I'll start with my setup:

- Soundcard: Adi 1988B onboard chip (on an Asus P5B-E)
- Driver: SoundMax HD Audio 5.2
- Microphone: Sennheiser e825 S dynamic microphone

I have my mic hooked up to my onboard audio with a 6.3>3.5mm converter plug. I have another mic ($5 computer mic), which works perfectly, albeit the sound quality is worse than it should be. When I hook my Sennheiser up however, I either get no signal, or very disturbing noise through my recording, or even nothing but terribly loud noise. I tried it on another pc (an old Dell, think it has an AC97 onboard chip). The microphone is crystal clear on there.

First thing I tried was reinstall my audio driver. Also looked in the driver settings, and tried it with Microphone boost on and off. Also went to the sound settings of the applications I've tried it on (Adobe Audition 1.5 and TeamSpeak) and tried both the SoundMax HD driver and the primary driver (whatever that is). Doesn't seem to make any difference.

I'm tempted to go out and just buy a new soundcard. But if I'm going to do it I want to do it right, and knowing me I'll be spending a lot of money. So I want to solve this problem before I jump the gun with another impulsive purchase. :eek:

Does anyone have any more ideas?

Back