Can't get TV (2nd desktop) to display the entire screen

fallguy

2[H]4U
I have a Sanyo DP32746 32" TV as a second monitor. It says that the resolution is 720p, 1366x768, 16:9. Yet when I go to clone desktop, the last inch or so of the screen is chopped off. I am on a Alienware m14X, with a 650m. It also has a 1366x768 resolution. Why doesn't this seem to work. I am sure there is an easy fix, but googling didn't help me. To add to the confusion, when plugging it up via HDMI display properties shows it as 1280x720 for both? And then if I go into the NV control panel, it shows the tv as 1080p. And display properties says my resolution is below 1024x768?!

All I want to is play some games on it, and watch movies. But having part of the screen cut off is a no go. Here is my desktop, hopefully someone can help.

9064h1.jpg

About inch of the screen all around? Thats most likely overscan issue. Go through the TV settings. If there is not separate overscan slider then its usually just changing aspect ratio to different one fixes it.

Overscan is a relic from analog CRT TV days when there was noise (and Text-TV signal) around the actual picture so the screen was just zoomed in an inch to hide it. I dont understand why modern TVs still have that "feature". About the resolution, to my knowledge not all TVs accept 1366x768 as input even if it displays as such. It takes in 720p or 1080p which are the normal HD "standards" and then it either up or downscales the picture to fit it. You could try messing with creating a custom resolution in your graphics card settings, it might work.

1366 "HD Ready" resolution is an oddball resolution anyway. Used (and still used) as cheaper alternative to Full HD TVs before the prices dropped down and everyone could afford them. It could accept 1080p signal from HD sources but downscaled it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I do not have the remote, and the only buttons on the TV are Power, volume up/down, channel up/down. I have searched to see if a combination of the buttons got me into settings, and they do not.

The display settings do not let me change the resolution, it's grayed out. If I unplug the TV, it goes back to 1366x768. When I plug the TV back in, it goes back to 1280x720 with no option to change it. I'm probably going to just have to live with it, ugh.

Back