Can't get usb 2 function

ron2368

n00b
I have an abit av8 with xp pro. no matter how I try to install the via usb2.0 drivers my system will not run 2.0. I have another HD with a different xp install and usb2 is fine. Have tried uninstalling the drivers, swapping the driver files from the good drive and nothing works. any ideas? thank you

Go into Device Manager to your USB host controller. Choose update driver, and make sure it installs the "USB Enhanced Host Controller". That should solve it. Otherwise, I'd re-install SP2, then try your USB 2.0 drivers again.

as far as I am aware, I didn think their was usb 2 drivers, I thought usb2 was made active with sp2, so if you have win xp sp2 then usb2 should already be working if you have a usb2 mobo.

I am just going by the fact that most of my usb2 mobos driver cd's have all said for usb2 support, their is no drivers, just make sure you install sp2 for windows xp, and sure enough I have usb2 without installing drivers, I only needed to install sp2.

I had the same problem with my abit. For some reason mine worked after reinstalling XP, then SP1, then SP2. If I skipped installing SP1, the drivers didn't work.
Or better yet, I got them to work after one particularly nasty crash by completely uninstalling the USB drivers from Device Manager. When it restarted, Windows found them and reinstalled the correct drivers. Just make sure you have the adapters if you use a USB keyboard or mouse.

As previously stated, SP2 is what has the drivers for USB2.0. If they aren't working and you have SP2. Uninstall both SP2 andSP1 and reinstall in order.

Why on Earth are you people suggesting to install SP1 THEN install SP2? Do you not know that SP2 contains the exact same updates and more already?

USB 2.0 support came with SP1. If your XP CD is pre-SP1 or SP2, what you will need to do is this:

1. Don't use the VIA drivers, they're not needed with XP SP1 and newer
2. Install XP. Install SP2, BEFORE YOU REBOOT, go into Device Manager and delete ALL of your devices under USB. When you reboot and Windows comes back up, it will reload the USB Host Controller drivers, including the 2.0 controller drivers and reload the Root Hubs with 2.0 capability. If you don't delete the Host Controllers and Root Hubs, Windows WILL NOT load the 2.0 capabilty.

Another thing to check, a board I had with Via USB there was an option in the BIOS that you could set the USB to either Full (USB 1.1) or High (USB 2.0) so you may want to pop into your BIOS and double check that as well.

*EDIT* Found it. In your BIOS go to Integrated Peripherals, then OnChip PCI Device and make sure the setting for USB 2.0 Controller is set to Enabled. If it's not then your 2.0 Host Controller is turned off so all your USB ports are set to 1.1 only.

Back