Can't get X2 4600+ to recognise as a dual core...

Ok. Last night I created two RAID0 paritions because the Windows installer did not recognize the two 9.1 gb disks which weren't in a raid0 array. I installed windows, and everthing went well. Installed a ton of drivers, and rebooted several times. I had everything working, except for the X2 processor. XP Pro would not recognize the second core. I ran WCPUID and it recognized the name string as the cpu it is, but the second string it recognized it as an AMD 11000+ processor :eek: I tried installing the driver from AMD's site to let windows recognise the second core, still nothing. I went to windows updates and updated everything, nothing. (i rebooted still after installing these drivers)

So I figured it must be the bios on the mobo. I went to gigabytes website and installed the F6 bios (the F7 wasn't there last night, just saw that there now, I had the F1 bios with my board initally). I flashed it, and rebooted, went into the bios and under the Hard Disk boot priority, and the SCSI drives were no longer there!! (they were there before). All it shows is that stuff in the SS. I tried flashing back to the F5 bios, but that still wouldn't let the bios recognize my drives. I set the boot drive in the adaptec bios to bootable, still nothing. I went to look at the bios information at the adaptec site, but it warned about having an OEM card, and the card being screwed up if I were to flash a non-retail boxed card (an oem). I don't mind re-installing windows, but it would be nice if I could fix this without a reinstall.

I thought about flashing back to the oldest bios from gigabytes website that supports the X2 processor, and that would be the

Does anybody have any thoughts as to what might be my problem? (I have this posted in other forums, because this crosses between windows, motherboards, cpu's, and hard drives)

one.jpg

two.jpg

three.jpg

four.jpg

Heres the setup.
Gigabyte GA-K8SNSC-939 (with F5 bios -F3 is suposed support dual core)
AMD X2 4600+
2x 512MB Kingmax
ATI Radeon X800Pro
Adaptec 39320a-r SCSI RAID card (two channel, with 1.25 bios)
2x 9.1 GB Ultra160 10,000 rpm disks on channel 0 (RAID0 the two disks for games partition)
2x 9.1 GB Ultra160 10,000 rpm disks on channel 1 (Wanted to have one disk for Windows, and one for applications)
2x100GB WD IDE disks
DVD-RW, CD-RW
500W Antec SmartPower
P180

you gotta update the processor driver in the hardware manager, or reinstall windows. ;)

I didn't try through the device manger, but I did use AMD's driver installer off their website... that was no good? :(

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2.2 - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processors on Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2003 SP1.

Are you sure? Because I got that off their website...

The cool & quiet driver is on their website too...

Dumass_Freakboy said:
Are you sure? Because I got that off their website...

The cool & quiet driver is on their website too...

That's basically the description of Cool n' Quiet. You need to change the CPU HAL under Computer in Device Manager. Right now mine is ACPI Uniprocessor, you'll want to update that to the multi version.

As for the SCSI drives, change the boot priority to bootable add in cards, and then configure your SCSI array in the adaptec bios. When the bios comes up, you normally push cntrl-A, assuming your scsi driver is installed in windows, it should see the drives.

My bad. I didn't read the explanation :rolleyes:
As for the cpu... where might I pick up the appropriate drivers? I don't see them on AMD's website...

As for the SCSI problem...I think I might have solved that. With the ROM in the motherboard, theres only so much space, and with the graphics card, 2 mobo controllers, and 2 add-on controller cards, it overloads it. I'm going to remove the second additional card, and try installing windows and getting the processor drivers up and running again before adding the controller card back again. (The whole problem occured when I tried to get the processor drivers, and thought It might have been the bios not detecting it properly, thus passing that along to windows, and screwing me over, and I put in a new bios, and install refused to boot, then the bios stopped detecting the raid array... and well I went from there with more and more errors popping up left right and center!)

I would presume you need to go into the Device Manager and under "Computer" change the "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" to "ACPI Multiprocessor PC." Anyone confirm that is correct?

Thx guys :D
Dew: I assume from the miniscule SS's that i'll have to update the processor driver, and install a multi-processor driver. From XP's disk I gather? (the click for larger pic doesn't work)

I think I saw the same thing on another site.

No disk needed, just choose not to load from disk and they'll be right there. XP should have those drivers in the driver cache.

What if i did this while I was installing windows?
Pressing F5 when it prompts you to press F6 for scsi controllers... and then select it there instead?

When you're installing windows it auto detects. Why do you keep insisting on doing things the hard way?

I'm not insisting on doing it the hard way, that way would actually be the easy way, cuz then I would be able to have the second core recognized before I even got into windows!

All of that aside now.

To sum up, the

I have discovered windows xp setup (sp2) doesn't like to install as a aspi compatable system at all.

If i let Windows setup select the computer type, it reboots just as about the system is about to start installing windows files(i assume it detects it's a DC acpi system).

I got windows installed selecting a different type of cpu, standard. However, its craptacularly crappy. I bought a dual core to use both cores, and take advantage of the acpi features. Anyhow, now when I try to go and update the driver to the ACPI one in windows xp, the driver is not there! All it shows is "Standard PC" :( :confused:

I'm pretty sure I have to update the hal, but from what i've read, that requres a new installataion of windows ontop of what I have now. And I would just have the same problem again! :mad:

Will somebody shoot the guys @ Microsoft for me? :)

ir0nw0lf said:
I would presume you need to go into the Device Manager and under "Computer" change the "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" to "ACPI Multiprocessor PC." Anyone confirm that is correct?

Yes. Just right click computer go to driver and choose update driver, then choose for it not to search and that you'll choose it from a list. You will see the option there for ACPI Multiprocessor PC just like Ironwolf Said. Once you finish this you will need to reboot. When you reboot reinstall your motherboard chipset drivers. I fixed it this way on my buddies PC.

Weird, Windows XP Automatically recognised my X2 4400..... Basically just goto the AMD website and the find the correct driver I think...

BTW: Why did the buy the 4600+ over the 4400+? its clocked a little higher yes but its got less cache?

Back