Cant install 301.10 Drivers

jstenuf

2[H]4U
Finally got my hands on 2 GTX 680s and tried to install the 301.10 drives without success. Prior to the first attempt I :
1. Uninstalled AMD drives, profiles and booted into the Safe Mode and ran driver sweeper.
2. Prior to the second attempt I set the BIOS to default and ran driver sweeper again in the safe mode to remove the Nvidia driver remnents from the first install attempt.
3. I called Nvidia help desk and they told me to try the driver from a link the help desk provided. Still the install failed.

In each instance I get the following error message: "Error during execution ".\\setup.exe -s". The system cannot find the specified file."

Any help would be appreciated

Windows 7 64bit
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Intel 2600k
RAM: 8GB Corsair 1600

Have you tried...

A) Running the file from your desktop? i.e. not a secondary drive

or, more likely to work...

B) Right-clicking the file, extracting it (if you have winrar or similar installed) to a folder, THEN running the setup.exe manually from the resulting folder? The installer is just an exe zip file.

Have you tried...

A) Running the file from your desktop? i.e. not a secondary drive

or, more likely to work...

B) Right-clicking the file, extracting it (if you have winrar or similar installed) to a folder, THEN running the setup.exe manually from the resulting folder? The installer is just an exe zip file.

A) I ran the file once from the desktop and twice from the "Download" folder.

B) I am not understanding your .Zip file reference. The file I downloaded was a WHQL.exe No extraction required. This file is the one that the help desk recommended.

The .exe file self-extracts itself into C:\Nvidia\ and then installs itself from there. In that folder you should see something obvious like a folder named 310.10. Within that should be the setup.exe file. If it isn't there, then try re-downloading the driver file from nvidia.com (not from someplace else). If that doesn't help, try disabling any third-party download managers you might have on your web browser.

Edit: my point being, poke around where it's supposed to have extracted itself and find out why it isn't doing that. Maybe the disk is full? (But that would cause so many other problems...)

Last edited:
A) I ran the file once from the desktop and twice from the "Download" folder.

B) I am not understanding your .Zip file reference. The file I downloaded was a WHQL.exe No extraction required. This file is the one that the help desk recommended.

B) If you use a program such as WinRAR you will see it is just a self-extracting ZIP file (.exe extension). Just extract it and run setup.exe from the resulting folder, should solve your problem. Additionally try what evilsofa above me recommended.

The .exe file self-extracts itself into C:\Nvidia\ and then installs itself from there. In that folder you should see something obvious like a folder named 310.10. Within that should be the setup.exe file. If it isn't there, then try re-downloading the driver file from nvidia.com (not from someplace else). If that doesn't help, try disabling any third-party download managers you might have on your web browser.

Edit: my point being, poke around where it's supposed to have extracted itself and find out why it isn't doing that. Maybe the disk is full? (But that would cause so many other problems...)

It does extract and creates the NVIDIA folder and it contains "setup.exe". It does all of this before it locks up. I have tried running "setup.exe" from the NVIDIA folder with the same results. I dont use any third party download managers. One other point, the original driver file I downloaded was from Nvidia's driver site. The second site, that the Nvidia help desk recommended, was a Nvidia site, but it was different then the one I used at first. The help desk believed that the original file may have been corrupted so they directed me to another Nvidia download site.

Last edited:
for future reference you can manually install the driver by using the device manager and pointing to the nvidia folder.

just because setup.exe wouldnt run doesnt mean that it wouldnt have been possible to get it installed, but i'm glad windows update took care if it for you.

Thanks to all for your advice. I finally got the driver ( 8.17.13.110) installed using Windows Update. Go figure!

for future reference you can manually install the driver by using the device manager and pointing to the nvidia folder.

just because setup.exe wouldnt run doesnt mean that it wouldnt have been possible to get it installed, but i'm glad windows update took care if it for you.

Thanks!

A friend of mine running AMD GPU/CPU ran his installer from another user account and got it installed after having this exact issue. You could do the manual install or try this and see if it will install.

Back