Can't install Vista Ultimate but can still WinXP Pro on the same PC. Help!

Hi guys,

I have encountered a really frustrating problem and I just can't solve it. Usually, I can find answers to my problems simply by pooling my personal collective experience in troubleshooting or searching Google, but this problem has me totally stumped.

Issue: I CANNOT install Windows Vista Ultimate on my PC but Windows XP Pro installs just fine (both clean install attempts).

Here is my system spec:

*PC #01:

-Gigabyte P35C-DS3R, P35 chipset

-Intel Core 2 Duo, E6600

-eVGA 8800GT KO

-2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800

-Boot drive: WD 30GB, IDE, 7200RPM (purchased back in 2002)

*PC #02:

-ASRock 775Dual-VSTA

-Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

-ATI 1900XT 512MB PCIE

-2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800

-Boot drive: WD 80GB, IDE, 7200RPM

I just purchased the Gigabyte P35 mobo because my old ASRock mobo doesn't support the new 8800GT series of GPUs (due to the quirky nature of the VIA PT880Pro chipset's implementation of the PCIE standard). I wanted to test out the card by installing it on the Gigabyte mobo and installing Windows Vista Ultimate. When I boot my PC from the DVD disc, the installation takes me beyond the Licensing Agreements and the selection of Language choice. Then at the next step, Vista stops the installation by saying that a driver is missing for my CD/DVD drive. So, I went to Intel's homepage and downloaded the latest INF file. I copied it to a USB flash drive and plugged it into the PC undergoing the Vista installation. Once I pointed Vista to the INF files, the "missing driver for CD/DVD drive" error disappeared.

But the installation stalled again at the next step which said that no hard drives could be detected.

If I boot off the Windows XP Pro CD, XP detects both my optical drives and my hard drives just fine.

I tried to solve this Vista installation problem by booting off the XP disc, entering the Recovery Console, and formatting the HDD with NTFS, typing in FIXMBR and FIXBOOT, then rebooting again with the Vista disc. However, I get stopped at the same stage where Vista says that it can't detect any hard drives.

The weird thing is that when i installed Vista Ultimate on my old ASRock mobo, I didn't encounter those two errors. Everything just installed as it's supposed to be.

What do you guys think is the problem? Why can Vista detect my IDE DVD writer and IDE HDD on the ASRock mobo when undergoing installation but not when I'm installing on the Gigabyte mobo with the same components?

I got so frustrated after a few hours of trying this and that, I just went ahead and installed Windows XP Pro on the Gigabyte mobo then upgraded to the Vista Ultimate from within Windows XP. It was more work and took longer but at least I was finally able to install Windows Vista on my WD HDD.

Anyone know of a solution?

-Optimummind

are you using the same cd\dvd drive on both systems or are they different ones? to properly troubleshoot your problem you will have to eliminate all variables between the two systems one by one.

I currently have Vista x64 installed on my P35-DS3R, and it installed without fault. However, the problem you describe caught my eye, because I experienced the same issue as you on a different motherboard. When I attempted to install Vista on my Asus A8N, I had the same exact issue you describe. After trying everything that I knew and googling to no end, I decided to try a different approach. I did a basic install of XP x64 successfully. I then launched Vista x64 dvd from within XP, and started the installation process (not an upgrade). I know this isn't a solution per say, but it worked for me 100% on 3 separate occasions. I'm sure there has to be an easier way and a technical explanation of the root cause. Just thought I would chime in with my thoughts and what worked for me at the time.

are you using the same cd\dvd drive on both systems or are they different ones? to properly troubleshoot your problem you will have to eliminate all variables between the two systems one by one.

Yea, everything is the same except for 3 components. One is the mobo (ASRock vs Gigabyte), the HDD (WD 30GB IDE vs WD 80GB IDE, both purchased back in 2002), and the PCIE GPU (1900XT 512MB vs 8800GT 512MB).

I did a basic install of XP x64 successfully. I then launched Vista x64 dvd from within XP, and started the installation process (not an upgrade).

Sounds like we used the same method in the end except you went for a clean install within Windows XP and I did an upgrade. I was tempted to go for a clean install of vista within XP but I was afraid of getting the installation errors again so I went with the upgrade option. =)

Vista installation is just so quirky and inconsistent.

-Optimummind

Back