Can't install Windows XP

[+Duracell-]

Limp Gawd
So I just put together a computer, and I'm trying to install Windows XP onto it. I can't get all the files copied however. Like...when it's copying all the installation files to the HD, it says it can't read the file.

Now, I've been trying this with 3 different XP CDs (SP2 Upgrade CD from MS, SP1a that came with my Dell Laptop, SP1a that came with a friend's PC), and NONE of them work. And I KNOW that both the SP1a CDs did work prior to this. The SP2 upgrade CD had the same problem in another computer I was working on, but eh.

I've tried a slipstreamed SP2 XP cd, but I can't get that to work. Don't think the SATA hard drive is a problem, since the installs detect it.

I'm downloading Ubuntu 6.06 right now and I'll see if I can get that to work.

This is frustrating me...I can't get the setup to run now...it keeps hanging on where it inspects the hardware config.

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Kingston Value ram
250GB SATA-II HD

What should I look at first?

Run a memory test, not just the POST test, to make sure you don't have bad ram. If it passes that, run a disk surface check.

Microsoft has a memory tester that you can download for free. Bootable from CD or floppy.

Back