Can't overclock 8800 GT OC with ATITool on Vista

Belzebutt

Weaksauce
ATITool worked just fine on my Vista system with a 7800 GT, but when I changed to a 8800 GT OC when I load ATITool it just shows "0.00" for my GPU core and memory clocks. I've searched for this problem and other people see it too on various systems, but there doesn't seem to be a fix other than try a different version of ATITool. I tired 26 and 27b4 and both do that.

Then I tried Rivatuner 2.06, and that allows me to set the clock speed. Except I don't notice much difference in performance between overlocked and not, and I set 700 Mhz on the first try and overclocked the memory and everything was ok. How do I know for sure if it's really overclocked? :)

Then I tried Rivatuner 2.06, and that allows me to set the clock speed. Except I don't notice much difference in performance between overlocked and not, and I set 700 Mhz on the first try and overclocked the memory and everything was ok. How do I know for sure if it's really overclocked? :)

download GPUZ

If you check [H]'s video card reviews, overclocking your GPU doesn't really give you that much of an increase in performance.

Depending on how good the Card will OC, i would imagine my Avg video card OC about 5-7FPS faster. but that will vary from card to card, ive had one OCed like hell, and still only gave me about a 3fps more edge in games. but this is actually a big difference. if you can have 5fps more. then why not use it? ;)

NVIDIA changed something with the 169 series drivers that altered the way clock adjustments are done on the driver level. This effectively BROKE ATITool and I guess Wizzard (the ATITool programmer) is pissed off about it since he hasn't bothered to put out a fix for months now. My guess is that when NVIDIA unlinked the shader clocks on the 8800 series boards this is what broke the clock speed adjustments in ATITool.

ATITool is still very effective at rooting out artifacting so you can sill use it to ensure a completely stable overclock - you'll just need another tool to adjust clock speeds (Ntune, rivatuner)

How do you check for artifacts in ATITool without the "find max core speed" fuction? You look at the little 3D spinning hairy cube and then what?

How do you check for artifacts in ATITool without the "find max core speed" fuction? You look at the little 3D spinning hairy cube and then what?

You click the 'scan for artifacts' button, whenever an artifact is detected you will hear a chime and see the counter in the bottom of the window reset back to zero.

You click the 'scan for artifacts' button, whenever an artifact is detected you will hear a chime and see the counter in the bottom of the window reset back to zero.

Do you need to do that a bunch of times, or just let the cube spin for a while and then do it once?

Also keep in mind guys with your video cards i would suggest going through the ATI Tool options and setting (Scan older more compatible mode) My video card would pic up artifacts at default clocks sometimes. as soon as i switched to this method everything works well now. And sometimes ATI tool does not make chime noises but will still show artifacts. So pay close attention to small fludders in the cube. ;)

Back