Can't reach my Server 2008 R2 on the network

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
This problem just showed up out of no where. I don't know if a windows update caused it (changed an option) or what, but...

I can no longer access my Server using \\server name from clients, nor can I reach it using Remote Desktop. It just doesn't respond.

The server itself has network access and internet access. I've tested it.

All computers are on the same LAN/Segment.

I have Windows Home Server 2010 running under a VM on the server, and I can access that just fine. The WHS is connected through a secondary NIC in the machine. Server 2008r2 has it's own NIC.

Any idea's what I'm missing here?

Whatever happened, it happened on it's own or with Microsoft's help.

Thanks

This problem just showed up out of no where. I don't know if a windows update caused it (changed an option) or what, but...

I can no longer access my Server using \\server name from clients, nor can I reach it using Remote Desktop. It just doesn't respond.

The server itself has network access and internet access. I've tested it.

All computers are on the same LAN/Segment.

I have Windows Home Server 2010 running under a VM on the server, and I can access that just fine. The WHS is connected through a secondary NIC in the machine. Server 2008r2 has it's own NIC.

Any idea's what I'm missing here?

Whatever happened, it happened on it's own or with Microsoft's help.

Thanks

can you rdp to it by name ?

If not can you rdp to your whs box ? then rdp from whs to your 2008r2 ?

Try it by IP and verify subnet. Also check your remote settings on the server itself, and check the network settings(work, home, public) and ensure that RDP is allowed on all.

Don't bother pinging it unless you enabled ICMP prior to get it to respond to ping requests since it's disabled by default. Try accessing by name or IP. I have a similar set-up (win 2008 r2 with WHS under hyper-v) and they're all to date and remote access to shares using \\server name\ works fine. Try verifying your system name and domain/workgroup as well.

Silly questions, but have you a) checked Windows Firewall on the server and b) checked you're using an internal DNS server?

Enable and start these services:
Function Discovery Resource Publication
SSDP Discovery
UPnP Device Host

What happen when you ping the IP or host name? Does it show up under a ipscan?

Ping response is disabled, so this won't work.

can you rdp to it by name ?

If not can you rdp to your whs box ? then rdp from whs to your 2008r2 ?

No, RDP will not work by //name or IP address.

Try it by IP and verify subnet. Also check your remote settings on the server itself, and check the network settings(work, home, public) and ensure that RDP is allowed on all.

Well, I think I checked all these but since it's server, it may have settings I'm not familiar with.

Yeah....that...access it via IP..what happens?

Nope. No access.

Don't bother pinging it unless you enabled ICMP prior to get it to respond to ping requests since it's disabled by default. Try accessing by name or IP. I have a similar set-up (win 2008 r2 with WHS under hyper-v) and they're all to date and remote access to shares using \\server name\ works fine. Try verifying your system name and domain/workgroup as well.

Yes, I can RDP into WHS fine, and I can access the shares on WHS fine.

Silly questions, but have you a) checked Windows Firewall on the server and b) checked you're using an internal DNS server?

The firewall on server is kinda complex, so I'm not sure what to look for. I guess I could turn it off temporarily just to rule it out though :)

SSDP Discovery
UPnP Device Host

I'll try that. Thanks!

is this server running active directory? (in which case you need to use its LAN IP for your DNS)..or is it just in workgroup mode? in which case you're relying on the DNS tables of your router, or..just local broadcasts. And your master browser got scrambled up.

No, no active directory. Simple Workgroup. It's purpose is to basically file share and run VM's.

DNS comes from the router.

Shouldn't be a DNS issue since direct IP access doesn't work either, but DNS comes from the Router.

As has been said - Firewall off, start from there.

Are you trying to access from XP or Vista/7? If it's XP (or Linux, or Mac, etc) there are some tweaks on Server 2k8 R2 that need to be made to accommodate and MS really loves to reset or change with every update they push out.

With Windows 7/2008 R2 I have become quite frustrated with the whole Home/Work/Public network option.

Check to make sure your Server isn't stuck on Unidentified or Public.

SSDP Discovery
UPnP Device Host

Just quoting myself why you need those services:
When you start those services the 2008R2 starts to advertise it's hostname to other computers in the network and also allows putting network discovery on :)

Agreed with Solid...took me a few days and google searches to figure out why my first 2008r2 dc wouldnt be seen in browsing by clients...

Ok, it's a firewall issue. I turned it completely off, and I can now see it again ! I don't know what changed or what changed it though.

Now I have to figure out WHAT in the firewall is causing the problem because obviously I can't leave it in a totally off state.

Ahhhh G-Dammit !!!

Something somewhere along the line set my network adapter for 28K2 to a PUBLIC network. Son of a bitch.

I set it back to home network and now everything is fine.

I'm a bit pissed at myself for not checking this, but nothing changed to make me think this would have happened.

Maybe a MS update pushed re-set defaults or something on security. Damned if I know...

Broadcasting never did work right from the start, so those service recommendations were useful anyway. It's working now as well :)

Thanks guys :)

Last edited:
I honestly don't know what MS were thinking with the Public/Domain/Work/Home rubbish when it comes to Server 2008R2, really it should have been taken out. I've been caught out by it a few times when deploying 2008R2 on our work domain.

Ok, turns out I'm halfway there.

When I open the network on my Win7 desktop, the server now shows up automatically like it should. It never really did that from the beginning, and I always had to use \\servername in the address bar.

All my shortcuts to the shares are working again too.

BUT, RDC is not working. Gotta dig back into that now. I don't know why the firewall would block port 3389, but I'll toggle it again to make sure it's not the problem.

I'd expect the ports to be closed and to open the ones i need.

So you mean you expect the OS to know it is a public interface and to close those ports until you open them meaning you expect there to be a way for the OS to setup a public side and a private side to the server

So you mean you expect the OS to know it is a public interface and to close those ports until you open them meaning you expect there to be a way for the OS to setup a public side and a private side to the server
sorry man, way over my head. Public side? private side? public interface? I just thought that the "home" "public" "work" option opened certain ports and turned on network discovery and network sharing and bologna like that based on the network it was connected to. So i thought it was strange for a windows server to have that since it usually doesn't change networks. If i misunderstood please correct me.

sorry man, way over my head. Public side? private side? public interface? I just thought that the "home" "public" "work" option opened certain ports and turned on network discovery and network sharing and bologna like that based on the network it was connected to. So i thought it was strange for a windows server to have that since it usually doesn't change networks. If i misunderstood please correct me.

yes and no. It isn't meant for a computer that changes networks, it defines the type of network you are connected to. you are just asked that for every new network it discovers, so you notice that a lot more on a laptop as it will want to know ever time how to preconfigure that connection for you for security. For a desktop that never moves you are still asked the same thing.

If you are on a home network then it helps you setup a home group between all the pcs in your house to share music, docs and stuff like that between all your computers in an easier manner than going around and manually mapping shares. instead it just shows you all the computers in your home group and what the other users are sharing. For an active directory domain it is a little different.

If you tell it that a connection is public then yes it turns off network discovery on that interface along with other things like that to keep anyone from being able to see you.

if you set it to private (similar to home / domain with a few things different by default) it will allow others to see you.

The purpose of that feature is to get you setup with your client or server OS with some defaults that will lock the connection down as needed based on the type of connection you are plugging in. That isn't to say that is the only thing you should rely on, but it is nice for the OS to at least start off in the right direction and lock down stuff based on where you are. You can also setup different firewall rules based on these connection types. For a server that is useful as if a program wants to run and you need to approve it through the firewall, you could tell it that it can run and open ports for the home/domain or private networks but not the public to keep that side locked down.

So it actually does serve a good purpose on the server just as much as it does the client, can be a pain in the ass when it sets something to public without you realizing it though.

Back